Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstalled snow leopard and using utility disk to repair disk but now stuck on permission repair

Mac desktop 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). I cannot install updates. I have reinstalled the snow leopard disk, then went to utility disk and repair disk. No errors were found so I proceeded to permission repair. It has been 40 minutes on permission repair (message says 1 minute remains). I cannot get out of permission repair.

iMac, 10.6.8

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 10:42 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 12, 2018 11:19 AM in response to macjack

I cannot stop permission repair. I am trying to be able to update from Snow Leopard and read where if I reinstalled the Snow Leopard Disk and then went through the Utility Disk I would then be able to at least update? Do you know if I can just turn off the computer? Will I then have to go back through all the steps? Apple Support says my system is too old for Apple to repair and an authorized Apple Repair is 2.5 hours away. I tried doing command + R and it would not respond. I would appreciate any advise.

Nov 12, 2018 6:22 PM in response to macjack

Thank you for trying to help me. I was told to reinstall the snow leopard and that it might solve the problem of not being able to do software updates. Now I have reverted back to 10.3.6 or 10.6.3 vs 10.6.8 ...might be driving it over to the nearest authorized Apple service. I am so frustrated (we own 8 Macs and yes this one is one of the older ones 2007) and we have an Apple store 20 min from my home but they will not work on an older Mac. Thank you for your help and letting me vent

reinstalled snow leopard and using utility disk to repair disk but now stuck on permission repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.