Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues when using HP Pavilion 22xw screen with MacBook

My HP Pavilion 22XW screen worked great with a MacBook Air however having bought a new MacBook and a USB-C to HDMI converter the HP screen and the integral screen will not wake up properly. Instead, When I wake the MacBook it goes into a weird flashing loop with both screens going black but occasionally flashing up some of the Desktop and background etc.

Following advice from Apple support I did several resets on the MacBook and also did a fresh load of Mojave all of which made no difference.

The screen works perfectly with a Windows PC, in addition the old MacBook, and when it eventually stabilises it produces a very good picture on the new MacBook. The only problem I have is waking the MacBook up after it’s been asleep as described above.

I would love to hear from anybody who successfully uses a HP screen with a recent MacBook. Also anybody who has seen the symptoms I am describing. Best of all it would be great to hear from anybody who has a potential solution! :-)

MacBook, iOS 11.4.1, Apple USB-C to hdmi converter

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2018 12:39 AM

I just hooked up an early MacBook with the USB-C to HDMI connector. I had a problem of the screen not sizing properly on the HP 22xw. On the first left button on the bottom of the screen on the right side...go and find factory reset inside "Management". Once that was done, the screen was able to size properly to the MacBook. It seems that a factory reset is required. I am happy now as everything looks fine edge to edge on the HP display.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2018 12:39 AM in response to Marsden2018

I just hooked up an early MacBook with the USB-C to HDMI connector. I had a problem of the screen not sizing properly on the HP 22xw. On the first left button on the bottom of the screen on the right side...go and find factory reset inside "Management". Once that was done, the screen was able to size properly to the MacBook. It seems that a factory reset is required. I am happy now as everything looks fine edge to edge on the HP display.

Nov 14, 2018 1:18 PM in response to nfromrichmond

Thanks nfromrichmond, Its good to know the early MacBooks will successfully drive the HP 22xw via HDMI adaptor. I had already tried a factory reset of the HP screen, to no avail in this case. Actually our old MacBook Air was also fine with this screen, it was only when we upgraded to the latest MacBook in the last month that our troubles began and then only on attempting to wake the screens (internal and external HP) following sleep. I'm actually trying a SAMSUNG S22F350 as I write this and it works fine too, more to the point the screen wakes up perfectly following sleep, unlike the HP 22xw. So it seems I am experiencing some sort of weird incompatibility between the new MacBooks and the HP 22xw screens. So thanks for your help nfromrichmond but the original problem remains (unfortunately it appears this problem has been mistakenly marked as 'solved' so I may need to resubmit it as the problem remains unsolved ....)

Issues when using HP Pavilion 22xw screen with MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.