Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

30” Cinema Display with 2018 Mac Mini?

Does the new (2018) Mac Mini support the 30” Apple Cinema Display. And if so, which adapter is necessary?

Mac mini (2018), iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 5:50 AM

I am going to presume you have one of these 30" Cinema Displays - Apple Cinema Display (20-, 23-, and 30-inch DVI) - Technical Specifications

This uses a 'Dual Link DVI' connection.

It does seem the combination of USB-C and Dual Link DVI is a complex one. I found one article which specifically advises against trying to use Apple's own Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt2 adapter which might have been a logical option.

The most common solution I have seen is to get the following.

1. A USB-C to Mini Displayport adapter - e.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2ORP84 (other similar ones might work)
  2. An Apple Mini Displayport to Dual Link DVI adapter - Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter - Apple (UK)

You will need to provide power to the Apple adapter from some USB socket, this could be a USB-C to USB-A or as the Mac mini has two USB-A sockets simply use one of those.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2018 5:50 AM in response to Wildetommy

I am going to presume you have one of these 30" Cinema Displays - Apple Cinema Display (20-, 23-, and 30-inch DVI) - Technical Specifications

This uses a 'Dual Link DVI' connection.

It does seem the combination of USB-C and Dual Link DVI is a complex one. I found one article which specifically advises against trying to use Apple's own Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt2 adapter which might have been a logical option.

The most common solution I have seen is to get the following.

1. A USB-C to Mini Displayport adapter - e.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2ORP84 (other similar ones might work)
  2. An Apple Mini Displayport to Dual Link DVI adapter - Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter - Apple (UK)

You will need to provide power to the Apple adapter from some USB socket, this could be a USB-C to USB-A or as the Mac mini has two USB-A sockets simply use one of those.

Nov 16, 2018 9:04 AM in response to Wildetommy

My question: Does the 2018 Mac Mini support the Apple 30" Cinema Display?

Seems straightforward yes/no answers to this yes/no question are hard to come by (there's no need to presume anything here; I said I have a 30" Cinema Display). But the info provided by Apple does show "N/A" when you look at Mac Mini compatibility with the 30" Cinema Display: Apple Cinema Display (20-, 23-, and 30-inch DVI) - Technical Specifications Surely, N/A means Not Available (or Not Applicable).

Nov 16, 2018 10:20 AM in response to Wildetommy

Oftentimes Apple's answer is "no" but there may be third party solutions that Apple doesn't recognize that makes the answer "yes". What would you prefer us to do: tell you "no" which isn't entirely accurate or tell you "yes" which is accurate but isn't sanctioned by Apple and might be something of a hack without further explanation but "yes"

30” Cinema Display with 2018 Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.