Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeping control of older backups

There is a use case, apart from archiving, for keeping older backups.

For example, suppose I just discover that I had destroyed a file a few years back? I need an old backup to allow recovery.

The tickbox under Options... under Time Machine Preferences has the description: "Notify after old backups are deleted".

This is a poor feature, giving the user no control. Far better would be an option: "Notify before old backups are deleted", (but this would stop backups completing, but a disk full is going to do that anyway),or keep both options, allowing users to choose what behaviour they want.

I have a Tower of Hanoi backup management system that I apply over the top of Time Machines management for backups older than a month, when Time Machine gives up management. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_rotation_scheme#Extensions_and_Example

Rob. Bell, CSIRO Australia.

Time Machine-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 5:24 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 13, 2018 2:45 PM in response to Robert.Bell

I found two faults with Time Machine yesterday.

1) I cleared enough space from the Time Machine target to allow a large backup (new machine) to continue on from a previous series. Time Machine deleted the oldest backup, despite there being ample space. I'm annoyed.

2) Despite having 'Notify after old backups are deleted' set, I received no notification.

Rob. Bell

Keeping control of older backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.