Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview is displaying images as blank inside PDFs

As you can see in the image below, the image is missing from the page. Only some of the images are missing and when viewing the same file in chrome or acrobat reader it shows all images normally so the problem seems to be isolated to preview. The file used to work fine before updating to mojave.

This happens in other files as well, they're mostly big PDFs (<200 MB).

So far I've tried to: delete the preview container / caches.

Reinstall the OS.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2019 9:19 AM

I'm having this problem as well with both PDF Expert and Preview. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC displays the images appropriately. Interestingly, the images are also missing on my iOS devices, which is probably related, but outside the scope of this thread.

15 replies

Jan 3, 2019 8:20 AM in response to mrpicklenosling

I just created a PDF v1.7 document that included an SVG image, and some vector text using Affinity Designer. It opened in Preview with all content displayed. Preview will not open standalone SVG images.

Recommend using current download of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (official link) as its v2019 or later is the first to support Mojave. Apple's Preview cannot possibly keep up with Adobe's currency of the PDF standard, or its ability to surpass Preview in imaging a variety of PDF.

Nov 13, 2018 3:29 AM in response to dialabrain

Is 1.7 PDF standard something apple no longer support or yet doesn't support?

I'm pretty sure these PDFs used to work normally before upgrading to Mojave. Also there are images within the document which are showing normally.

Would you (or anyone else for that matter) be aware of anyway to convert them so they will work with preview?

Thank you.

Dec 23, 2018 9:43 PM in response to mrpicklenosling

I have this problem too on an old research paper we published five years ago. Just noticed it as I was submitting faculty applications :/. I'm not sure when preview stopped rendering the PDF correctly, but it definitely used to work at some point in the past.

The PDF renders correctly in Acrobat Reader and in Chrome. But, some graphics in the PDF are missing on Mojave 10.14.2.

Jan 3, 2019 7:54 AM in response to RS1999ent

I have the same problem - seems like only minor photos are showing, not the major ones (judging from newspaper pages). As bad in 10.14.3-beta as in 10.14.2.

Also, when I try to (re)save a file, most photos are lost (and the file accordingly reduced in size).

Just me that get the impression that functionality, at least in Preview, is getting worse over time..? Search is working only if you open the file, close it, and reopen. Silly!

Jan 5, 2019 1:30 AM in response to VikingOSX

Just fount that Preview 9.0 (909.18) in MacOS Sierra (10.12.6) works perfectly well, both as regards search and displaying of large photos in pdf.

I managed to copy that Preview version into my Mojave beta (after initial protest from the OS), but that didn't help. Meaning that the faults are somewhere else in the OS, I guess.

Good pdf to test with: https://sprend.com/download.htm?C=9c135ea0be514b88bbd6beaa7ead3aa7

Jan 5, 2019 1:56 AM in response to swemats

A couple of points.

The terms of these Apple Support Communities, and of your Apple Beta agreement do not allow any discussion, or support for beta products in these open, Google archived communities. That's just an FYI going forward.

Moving Apple applications between different versions of the shipping operating system is not recommended, and particular mixing shipping operating system applications with beta operating system builds has to be violating at least one or more Apple licensing agreements. You do not want the Apple hosts to take notice of you for these reasons.

Preview is displaying images as blank inside PDFs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.