Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videos taken with iphone will not play on iPhone or Macbook

Last week, I shot about 40 videos of students delivering their midterm speeches. The videos worked fine until today. Now, none of those will play. They are on my Macbook, but they will not play there either. On my phone, I just get the round week that indicates that it is processing, but nothing happens. On the Macbook, I get this message: "Photos cannot play this video. Do you want to try opening it in QuickTime Player?" When I click "yes," I get this: QuickTime Player can't open "IMG_7868.MOV"."

If I click on "Tell me more," I get a nonsensical article that explains that I need to find an app that will open .mov, which is ridiculous because all of my videos were saved as .mov automatically.

The only workaround that I have found is that if I download the videos into WeChat, they will play there. I can't save them there, but I can do it one video at a time. The tough thing is that it takes about 5-10 minutes to download the videos into WeChat.

The other tough thing is that I'm teaching in China, and I don't know how to call Apple support. I think that this must be some sort of weird iCloud issue. However, we I click on iCloud in Finder, I don't have any photos there. However, WeChat says that it is downloading the file from iCloud.

I'm going to try to track down an Apple store in Beijing, but in the meantime, does anyone have any advice? Oh, the one piece of advice I found somewhere in the Apple community is that I should click on each file to see if my Mac recommends an app to open each file, but I can't figure out how find that list of suggestions. Besides, I shot the videos with my iphone and they got downloaded to my Mac. There should not be compatibility issues. The problem is with iCloud, I think, but I can't figure out what it is.

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 5:14 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Nov 13, 2018 7:07 AM in response to crankhardkim

Which system version do you have installed on your Mac and on your iPhone?

Are your iPhone and your Mac syncing with iCloud Photos (Library)? if yes, is "Optimize storage" enabled on your iPhone or your Mac? Are you running out of Cloud storage?

"Photos cannot play this video. Do you want to try opening it in QuickTime Player?"

So you are using Photos on your Mac and not iPhoto (I am asking, because you posted your question in the iPhoto Forum)? Where is your Photos Library stored? A common reason for videos not playing on your Mac would be an incompatible filesystem for the drive, where the Photos Library is stored.

And what happened directly before the videos would no longer play? Did you upgrade to a new system version? Move the library to a different location?

Videos taken with iphone will not play on iPhone or Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.