Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 ios 12.1 upgrade caused speaker to stop working

I recently upgraded my iPhone 6 to ios 12.1. I had no issues with the upgrade at first. After a few days the following problems occurred:

1. Alarm didn't sound (was triggered but didn't sound)

2. Speaker continued to work for a few days for music/ youtube etc.

3. Speaker stopped working altogether

I have tried the following:

1. Reset iphone

2. Reset all setting on iphone

3. Disconnect all Bluetooth devices

Currently the phone, headphone port, and Bluetooth still work to produce sound.

Anyone else have this occur and have any suggestions?

iPhone 6, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 6:04 AM

4 replies

Nov 13, 2018 6:11 AM in response to JillHen14

If you had no issues with the upgrade at first then iOS 12.1 did not cause the speaker to stop working. If it was the version it would have stopped working immediately. What happened is called a "coincidence", so troubleshoot it based on the assumption that it is unrelated to the update. Have you checked some basics:

• Check Mute switch on the left side of the phone, above the volume buttons, as well as the volume controls (as the headphone and BT still work this is the most likely)
  • Is Do not Disturb enabled?
  • Did any part of it get wet?
  • Did you add a case or a screen protector recently?
  • Which speaker stopped working (there are two)?
  • Have you tried restoring to factory settings (Restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support)?

Nov 13, 2018 6:29 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have verified it’s not the mute switch, or do not disturb.

The iPhone has not gotten wet.

I already restored to factory settings

When I manually adjust the volume in settings you can see how the “volume” notification pops up but there are no bars.

Additionally, when music is supposed to be playing through the speaker you can see how the volume adjustment is faded out and can’t be adjusted

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Nov 13, 2018 6:18 AM in response to JillHen14

Have a look at this discussion which I posted a reply, could be similar but the OP also has some sort of pop up regarding no audio device found, and the speaker icon greyed out during phone calls.

Speaker icon in phone calls in grayed out and i vant find a solution i have got iphone 7

(you’ve tried most of the suggestions in the article except a Restore).

I’ve read that if it’s just the speaker itself not working that can be due to water damage or a stuck switching sensor (from earphones to speaker).

This is another article that may help.

https://appletoolbox.com/2011/11/iphone-stuck-in-headphones-mode-fix/

Iphone 6 ios 12.1 upgrade caused speaker to stop working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.