Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does SMBD need Full Disk Access for?

I have a brand new 2018 MBP and I installed Mojave 10.14.1 now that I got it and I have something strange:

User uploaded file

I have not seen this before on any other Mac OS. I'm going to disable it.

I've seen SMB as the network protocol but I'm not finding anything like this that needs "full disk access"

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 12:44 PM

Full Disk Access is a new security layer in Mojave. Some lower-level pieces of software need full disk access and will automatically be granted these privileges if you turn on that service. I have heard of ssh triggering this. I guess smbd does too. It may depend on how you have smbd configured. I have file sharing turned on and I don't have smbd listed. But then I am only sharing individual user accounts. If you are sharing the entire machine or the root directory, then you may need additional privileges.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2018 12:44 PM in response to brycesteiner

Full Disk Access is a new security layer in Mojave. Some lower-level pieces of software need full disk access and will automatically be granted these privileges if you turn on that service. I have heard of ssh triggering this. I guess smbd does too. It may depend on how you have smbd configured. I have file sharing turned on and I don't have smbd listed. But then I am only sharing individual user accounts. If you are sharing the entire machine or the root directory, then you may need additional privileges.

What does SMBD need Full Disk Access for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.