Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WIFI connection poor on iPhone XS

Ever since I upgraded my phone to the iPhone XS I have been having problems with wifi connectivity. I live in a 620 square foot apartment, so it is small, and have an Apple Airport for a wireless router. I never had connectivity problems with my iPhone 7 but with the XS it disconnects all the time. I will get messages that I am not connected while sitting in my place, not far from the router. When I look it says LTE so it isn't connected. I can then watch it as the wifi bars show up and then it connects an then a little while later I'll be back on LTE instead of my wifi.

This is problematic because when it changes networks like this, it will log me out of some things. Also it is eating up my data on my wireless plan because I may think I am on wifi but I am not.

I am also having another problem with the LTE on this new phone. My phone calls used to be crystal clear and sound like high definition with the iPhone 7 but with this new XS it is like I went back several years and my phone calls are static and they drop out. Nothing else has changed with where I am making calls or my wireless provider. The only change is the upgrade from the iPhone 7 to the XS.

Does anyone else have this problem and found any fixes or know if Apple is working on this? I have read other things online with similar issues and tried their fixes but nothing works. I've tried turning things like wifi and bluetooth off and back on and then rebooting. I have tried resetting the network settings.

iPhone XS, iOS 12.1, 512GB

Posted on Nov 14, 2018 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2018 7:39 PM

Sorry for the 101 question, but just to make sure, have you updated to iOS12.1?

And have you tried all the basic Wi-Fi troubleshooting tactics such as resetting your network settings?

Check out here for some discussion on LTE issues (non-Apple source):

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/03/iphone-xs-lte-connectivity-apple-investigat ion/

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2018 7:39 PM in response to Scott Raymond

Sorry for the 101 question, but just to make sure, have you updated to iOS12.1?

And have you tried all the basic Wi-Fi troubleshooting tactics such as resetting your network settings?

Check out here for some discussion on LTE issues (non-Apple source):

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/03/iphone-xs-lte-connectivity-apple-investigat ion/

Nov 15, 2018 4:21 PM in response to ShaneTheGrey

Wow, so this is something they know about no then and are working on. You know, if I think about it, I don't have the same problem at work when I am connected to wifi there which I think is a 2.4Ghz. However, switching at home isn't as easy for me. I live in a city and in the middle of a bunch of small places so there are literally about 20 wifi networks in my dropdown list of people all around me. When I connect to the 2.4Ghz it is not very reliable and slow because of all the other networks on the same frequency. I was never able to find a channel that worked. So I switched to the 5Ghz a long time ago for all my devices in the house. So that also causes another problem. Switching on my phone means switching on things like my Alexa devices, etc. so I can do things like stream Spotify from my phone to Alexa devices. I hope they fix this soon.

And then there is the problem of the LTE network not working which is totally different than the wifi issue. My calls when I am not on wifi are not clear at all. Lots of static and some dropped calls.

Nov 30, 2018 12:22 PM in response to meeks_84

Hi there, just log into the apple website and enter the relevant information and chat an online chat with them and they will give you a case number and start taking data from your iPhone. You can then follow up with them on a regular basis with this case number and also this case number is valid which ever country you are in within the warranty period. Good luck.

Dec 20, 2018 10:37 AM in response to Scott Raymond

I bought my iphone xs max from the US and using it in Turkey. I have major wifi issues with 2.4 gh networks which is the most common network here in Turkey. The phone works fine with 5.0 but bareiy detects 2.4 gh networks and when it is connected, I hardly get 2 bars and gets disconnectes before I know it. I can tell most people have problems with wifi signal as well. Very frustrating since my iphone warranty does not work in Turkish apple stores. I tried pretty much every trick in the book!

WIFI connection poor on iPhone XS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.