Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my phone has forgotten the imap password and so have I. what do I do?

Phone keeps asking for IMAP password

Posted on Nov 15, 2018 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2018 2:59 PM

Hi jocelyn269,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're being prompted for the password to an IMAP email account on your iPhone and you don't remember the password. I know it's important to be able to use your email accounts on your iPhone; I'd like to help. The password that you're being prompted for should be the same password you use to access the email account in question. If you've forgotten the password for the email account, you'll want to get in touch with your email provider for steps to reset it.

If you do remember the password for your email account, I'd recommend using the steps below to verify that the settings for your account are set correctly:

Check your email address and password

If Mail asks you to enter a password for your email account, make sure that your password is correct. To check your email address and password, sign in to your email provider's website.

If you still get a username or password error, contact your email provider or system administrator.

Check your settings

When you set up your email account on your device, iOS automatically uses the correct account settings for many email providers.

To make sure that your account settings are correct, compare the settings in the Mail app to the settings for your email account:

1. Go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts and tap your email account.
  2. Tap your email address next to Account to see the account information, such as the incoming and outgoing mail servers.
  3. Check the recommended settings for your email account in the Mail Settings Lookup tool and make sure that they’re the same as what you see on your screen. If you don’t see the settings for your email account, contact your email provider or system administrator.

If you have a POP3 email account, then you can only check email on one device at a time. Close other email programs and sign out of webmail sites that you have open. To check if your email is a POP3 account, go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts, tap your account, tap Account, then look for the label POP Account Information. You can also check the recommended email settings for your POP3 email account in the Mail Settings Lookup tool.

If your email provider requires your account to use port 25, then you can only send email when you’re connected to your email provider’s network. Check with your email provider for settings and availability.

User uploaded file

If you still need help

Contact your email provider. You can also remove your email account, then set it up again.

Contact your email provider or system administrator

1. Contact your email provider or check their status webpage to see if there's a service outage.
  2. Ask your email provider or system administrator if you turned on any security features or restrictions, like two-step verification, for your email account. You might need a special password or may need to request authorization from your email provider to send and receive email on your device.
  3. Check your email account settings with your email provider or system administrator to make sure that they're correct.

Remove your email account and set it up again

1. On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your email is there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than your iOS device.
  2. On your iOS device, go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts.
  3. Tap the email account that you want to remove.
  4. Tap Delete Account.
  5. Add your account again.
If you can’t send or receive emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best Regards.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2018 2:59 PM in response to jocelyn269

Hi jocelyn269,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're being prompted for the password to an IMAP email account on your iPhone and you don't remember the password. I know it's important to be able to use your email accounts on your iPhone; I'd like to help. The password that you're being prompted for should be the same password you use to access the email account in question. If you've forgotten the password for the email account, you'll want to get in touch with your email provider for steps to reset it.

If you do remember the password for your email account, I'd recommend using the steps below to verify that the settings for your account are set correctly:

Check your email address and password

If Mail asks you to enter a password for your email account, make sure that your password is correct. To check your email address and password, sign in to your email provider's website.

If you still get a username or password error, contact your email provider or system administrator.

Check your settings

When you set up your email account on your device, iOS automatically uses the correct account settings for many email providers.

To make sure that your account settings are correct, compare the settings in the Mail app to the settings for your email account:

1. Go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts and tap your email account.
  2. Tap your email address next to Account to see the account information, such as the incoming and outgoing mail servers.
  3. Check the recommended settings for your email account in the Mail Settings Lookup tool and make sure that they’re the same as what you see on your screen. If you don’t see the settings for your email account, contact your email provider or system administrator.

If you have a POP3 email account, then you can only check email on one device at a time. Close other email programs and sign out of webmail sites that you have open. To check if your email is a POP3 account, go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts, tap your account, tap Account, then look for the label POP Account Information. You can also check the recommended email settings for your POP3 email account in the Mail Settings Lookup tool.

If your email provider requires your account to use port 25, then you can only send email when you’re connected to your email provider’s network. Check with your email provider for settings and availability.

User uploaded file

If you still need help

Contact your email provider. You can also remove your email account, then set it up again.

Contact your email provider or system administrator

1. Contact your email provider or check their status webpage to see if there's a service outage.
  2. Ask your email provider or system administrator if you turned on any security features or restrictions, like two-step verification, for your email account. You might need a special password or may need to request authorization from your email provider to send and receive email on your device.
  3. Check your email account settings with your email provider or system administrator to make sure that they're correct.

Remove your email account and set it up again

1. On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your email is there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than your iOS device.
  2. On your iOS device, go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts.
  3. Tap the email account that you want to remove.
  4. Tap Delete Account.
  5. Add your account again.
If you can’t send or receive emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best Regards.

my phone has forgotten the imap password and so have I. what do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.