Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting a Blank Page

User uploaded fileso how do I delete a blank page in the page thumbnail view (in this case Page 2). When I try to do this by selecting Edit - Delete, all the contents vanishes but I only want Page 2 to vanish.

Posted on Nov 16, 2018 5:37 PM

6 replies

Nov 17, 2018 10:49 AM in response to jcrochford

I have checked on the encroachment issue and there is nothing - not the XR images - not the text box that is spilling over into page 2. When I check the show invisibles I get

User uploaded file

this little symbol showing up in the upper left hand corner of page 2. I don't know it's significance or function or if it relates to my issue at all. Selecting page 2 in the thumbnail view and deleting results in this

User uploaded file

Well no - I don't want all the content deleted - I just want to see page 2 disappear but when the delete option is selected from the above dialog box, all the content is indeed deleted so I am still stuck with a blank page 2 that I can't seem to get rid of. This isn't exactly a burning issue but I just like things neat and proper so why send a document with any blank pages? It just looks sloppy so if I could resolve this problem it would be nice.

Nov 16, 2018 7:54 PM in response to ttibsen

You may want to check the first page for hidden formatting or items such as carriage returns. If you’ve extended the length of the content on the first page by inadvertently hitting the “return” key after the last of the visible content, you may have generated a second page. In that case, place your cursor at the end of the entire document, then hit “delete” to eliminate any unwanted carriage returns if that is, in fact, the issue. I hope that helps.

Nov 17, 2018 8:47 AM in response to ttibsen

Are any of the images that you've included in your document insufficiently cropped? That is to say, is there a large amount of blank space (specifically, below the actual images) that are actually included within the image files, themselves?

Also, have you tried to select page 2 in the thumbnail pane and hit delete? This will usually delete the entire page and its contents, but leave other pages intact. If all of your content disappears, I would conclude that something from page 1 is encroaching upon page 2, and that that is the reason why all of your document content is deleted.

You may have already done this, as well, but select 'View', 'Show Invisibles'. This may give a clue as to what types of formatting may have inadvertently been introduced into the document, thereby producing an unwanted second page.

Please let me know if these suggestions don't work or if you've already tried them. I'll do what I can to help you resolve this issue.

Nov 19, 2018 9:53 PM in response to ttibsen

Insert a SECTION BREAK at the end of the contents you want to keep on Page 1.

THEN I expect you will be able to select the Page 2 icon in the LH column and press the delete key to delete the page.

(The warning message SHOULD then say 'are you sure you want to delete all contents of Page 2'. Prior to adding the section break the warning would have said 'are you sure you want to delete all contents' ... or similar).

Nov 20, 2018 4:55 PM in response to ttibsen

Hi t'

In a word processing document, Pages adds pages as they are needed to contain the text in the Document body.

When you select a page thumbnail in the sidebar an press delete, the action applies to the Section containing that page. As your Pages document has only one Section, containing two pages (one of them appearing 'blank') the delete instruction will apply to that Section (all pages and their content).

The blue 'pin' you see when you Show invisibles is the pin anchoring an object (one of the images on Page 1) to that location.

With invisibles showing, try this:

Select one of the images, then press command-X to delete it and place it on the Clipboard.

Check for the blue pin.

If it is still there, press command-Z to undo the Cut, then repeat with the second image.

If the pin is gone (I suspect the second page will also be gone in this case), click on the first page, then press command-V to paste the image back onto the that page.

Regards,

Barry

Deleting a Blank Page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.