Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change number (dual sim iPhone XS) in existing iMessage conversation

one of my favorite contacts is set to to the private SIM card, imessage also uses the private SIM card and when I open an existing conversation I can only send normal messages but no iMessages.

tabbing the ”i” in the Message app shows, that “business is used for this conversation“.

How do i switch to private for this conversation?

Posted on Nov 16, 2018 10:02 PM

7 replies

Nov 18, 2018 8:50 AM in response to alexanderfrombruchköbel

Hi alexanderfrombruchköbel!

I understand that you'd like to use a different SIM card for a conversation in Messages, and I'm happy to help. Here are instructions:

Let your iPhone remember which number to use

When you call one of your contacts, you don't need to choose which number to use every time. By default, your iPhone uses the same number that you used the last time you called that contact. If you haven't called that contact, your iPhone uses your default number. If you want to, you can specify which number to use for your calls with a contact. Follow these steps:

1. Tap the contact.
  2. Tap Preferred Cellular Plan.
  3. Tap the number you want to use with that contact.

User uploaded file

Using Dual SIM with an eSIM

Cheers!

Nov 24, 2018 8:48 AM in response to Edmund Pirali

The Icon, that allows you to chose the one of your numbers only shows up when you start a new conversation. It might help to delete the old one and to start over. But still, in my opinion it is an unfinished feature. Because I expect to change number in an existing conversation. I don’t want to lose the history.

Jan 8, 2019 10:17 AM in response to alexanderfrombruchköbel

I just made the switch to dual SIM as well and what a pain! In any case, I experienced the same thing as everyone else but one thing that helped me thus far was to have a person send me a message on my new number which switched it to the right line. As soon as they sent me a message on my new number a message "Number changed to Personal" ("Personal" is what I labeled the line) appeared in the thread.

I've tested only with individuals, so not sure how to tackle groups. Maybe have each person in the group send you and individual message to the "right" number, which will then maybe switch the group chat to iMessage?

Also, I'm sure you know this, but it's worth mentioning that you should ensure that iMessage is set to use the right number.

Nov 24, 2018 8:31 AM in response to alexanderfrombruchköbel

I have the same issue, setting the default to use a specific line still uses the other in an existing conversation thread. And the apple support document shows a label in the thread you can use to switch that does not exist. Not sure if it’s a bug or unfinished but it’s a big issue.

also not being able to use FaceTime and messages with both SIMs is a big issue unfortunatly. This is not fully baked.

Dec 30, 2018 2:05 AM in response to Edmund Pirali

For some reason the conversation switched to the correct number and switched back unfortunately.

It must be a bug since the number of the conversation is set to „private“ and „private“ does not use iMessage so pictures will be send via mms and the recipient receives the mms from my „business“ number.

Can an anyone help?

How do I change number (dual sim iPhone XS) in existing iMessage conversation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.