Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new MacBook Pro or wait for potential 2019 updates

Hi all,

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro (with AppleCare until this time next year)... Should I upgrade now, as I assume I'll get more selling on my current MacBook with AppleCare than I will without, or wait for 2019 updates...

The problem is that I don't want/need the touchbar, but do want the latest spec. Do I wait it out to see if non touchbar MacBook Pro's get an update soon? Or do I just get a touchbar version now. It's more expensive, but I'll also get more from selling my current machine so I'm hoping it will even out...

Thoughts?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2018 8:26 AM

Computers will always be faster, better, and cheaper if you wait.

But at some point you have real work to do, and you need to get a computer and get to work. Hold your nose, buy into what is available, and get to work. It will be fine.

If you do not need a better computer that the one you have now, see rule #1 above.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2018 8:26 AM in response to beanwalls

Computers will always be faster, better, and cheaper if you wait.

But at some point you have real work to do, and you need to get a computer and get to work. Hold your nose, buy into what is available, and get to work. It will be fine.

If you do not need a better computer that the one you have now, see rule #1 above.

Nov 18, 2018 8:32 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I don't need a new machine. What I have now works great. And to be honest, it's going to get harder when I upgrade as I'll lose out on ports and have to buy new adaptors, and probably have to get a new Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock (or something similar) and will have to be more strict with what is on my internal SSD as I currently have 512gb with a 200gb SD card installed all the time, but there's no SD card slot on the newer MacBooks and I am not sure I can afford 1tb on the next machine...

I'm not sure the MacBooks will get cheaper if I wait though. They just seem to be getting more expensive. And the value of my current machine is dropping all the time, and will drop further once the AppleCare runs out.

Nov 18, 2018 8:49 AM in response to beanwalls

Computers are not an investment.

Like automobiles, they are a tool to do something for you. They depreciate rapidly, and you will never recover the value you put into them as cash. You recover the value by amazingly increased productivity.

If you cannot sleep at night knowing your computer is losing value every day, then you should sell it and use pencil and paper, and sleep soundly.

Nov 19, 2018 1:54 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

They hold their value better the more AppleCare they have left. And I have to think of the cash, especially currently as the new models are so expensive, plus they also require me to buy a whole new set of adaptors, a new hub, and double my internal SSD because they've dropped the SD card port. It's a huge outlay of cash so the more I can get selling my current machine second hand the better, all so I can cover the excess costs of an upgrade.

I have sold my last three machines on for two thirds of their original cost, so Apple machines are typically a great investment.

Nov 19, 2018 2:47 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Right. Thanks for that.

But that's not quite the same as having a micro SD card inside your SD card slot all the time because it can sit flush with the machine and act as a constant additional 200gb of hard drive space. That currently allows me to have a 512gb SSD and have extra room on the SD card. But with a new machine, I'd have to get the 1tb SSD to give me a similar size hard drive without having to connect extra stuff on the go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BASEQI-aluminum-microSD-Adapter-MacBook/dp/B012F38H9A/

new MacBook Pro or wait for potential 2019 updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.