Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t pair or update Watch (2) with 6S

I recently purchased an Apple Watch 2. It’s been restored to factory settings and ready to be paired. I have a 6S that was running 12.1.

When I try to pair the watch I get a notification in the Watch app saying that the watch needs to be running the latest version of watchOS and an “update now” button. I click “update now” and then I get an alert that says “Pairing Failed”.

Everything I’ve read online says the phone needs to be running the latest iOS in order to pair the phone/update the watchOS. My phone says it’s up to date. I also don’t have the Setting option in the Watch app.

It was suggested to me that the incompatibility is caused by the Watch having an OS higher than the phone- meaning the Watch is running a beta. I backed up my phone and installed 12.1.1 public beta 3 but am still having the same issues.

Help??

Apple Watch Series 2

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2018 7:48 AM

I recently purchased an Apple Watch 2. It’s been restored to factory settings and ready to be paired.

Where did you purchase this device, and if it was restored to factory, who did that? Do you know what watchOS the Watch is running?

liog2step wrote:

I have a 6S that was running 12.1.

That is the latest iOS for the iPhone 6S. It should allow you to update the watch, and it seems that it is prompting you to update the watch to be able to pair.

Everything I’ve read online says the phone needs to be running the latest iOS in order to pair the phone/update the watchOS. My phone says it’s up to date.

That is correct.

I also don’t have the Setting option in the Watch app.

What Settings are you referring to? There is nothing in the Watch app listed as Settings.

It was suggested to me that the incompatibility is caused by the Watch having an OS higher than the phone- meaning the Watch is running a beta. I backed up my phone and installed 12.1.1 public beta 3 but am still having the same issues.

Help??

Who made this suggestion? You may have made things worse by installing beta software on the iPhone and trying to update the watch. Try all of the steps here, Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support and if you still cannot update the watch and pair them, then contact Apple Support. You can make a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store, or you can try Chat to work through the issues as well.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2018 7:48 AM in response to liog2step

I recently purchased an Apple Watch 2. It’s been restored to factory settings and ready to be paired.

Where did you purchase this device, and if it was restored to factory, who did that? Do you know what watchOS the Watch is running?

liog2step wrote:

I have a 6S that was running 12.1.

That is the latest iOS for the iPhone 6S. It should allow you to update the watch, and it seems that it is prompting you to update the watch to be able to pair.

Everything I’ve read online says the phone needs to be running the latest iOS in order to pair the phone/update the watchOS. My phone says it’s up to date.

That is correct.

I also don’t have the Setting option in the Watch app.

What Settings are you referring to? There is nothing in the Watch app listed as Settings.

Help??

Who made this suggestion? You may have made things worse by installing beta software on the iPhone and trying to update the watch. Try all of the steps here, Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support and if you still cannot update the watch and pair them, then contact Apple Support. You can make a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store, or you can try Chat to work through the issues as well.

Can’t pair or update Watch (2) with 6S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.