Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Headphones Beep Between Songs

I recently purchased a set of OneOdio Studio Wireless M headphones. When I'm using them to listen to my 6th gen iPod touch (which has recently updated to 12.1, but was also experiencing this problem in the previous version), I always hear a beep between songs, whether the song ends naturally or when I'm skipping to the next one.

I've tried the following troubleshooting:

connected headphones to laptop and listened to iTunes on it (which to me suggests this is not an issue with the headphones themselves)

turn ipod off and on again

turn headphones off and on again

hard reset of ipod

reset ipod settings

disconnected, forgotten, and reconnected headphones

gone into sound settings and set "ringer and alerts" volume level to 0

turned off keyboard click and lock sound noise

Any thoughts about what could be causing this, and/or what to do next?

iPod touch (6th generation), iOS 12.1, bluetooth

Posted on Nov 18, 2018 12:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2018 7:32 AM

I don't remember where I saw this but it works. If you change the volume on the bluetooth headset (raise and then lower) the beeping between songs goes away. I have an iPhone 7 and IOS 12.0. Hope it works for you.

15 replies

Nov 19, 2018 6:43 AM in response to ruby1110

Greetings ruby1110,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! It looks like no one has responded to your inquiry. Here are a couple things that might help others answer your inquiry:

• Do you hear the beep between songs while listening to music with different apps? Or, is the beep between songs isolated to the Music app?
  • Does the behavior continue with a different set of Bluetooth headphones?
  • Does the behavior persist if you use wired headphones?

Kind regards.

Nov 26, 2018 6:07 PM in response to i_rina

Dear i_rina,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I don't seem to be hearing any beeping on the iPod's Pandora app, so this may be a Music app issue. (I'm hearing the beeps between songs both while listening to my library and Music's radio feature.)

I'm afraid that I don't have another set of headphones, and my particular set doesn't have a wired function (Bluetooth only.)

Jan 30, 2019 7:37 AM in response to ruby1110

The raise/lower volume trick worked...a few times. Now it doesn’t. Ran the latest update, still doesn’t work.

Any ideas why it would stop working when there weren’t any changes in the phone?

I’ve also noticed that it beeps any time there’s any change that MIGHT involve audio. What I mean by that is that I’ll get a beep when I’m listening to the music app and open, say, the Imgur app. The music won’t be interrupted unless I specifically choose to play something, of course. But just opening/closing the app causes a beep.

Feb 5, 2019 7:51 PM in response to ruby1110

I believe the "beeps" are being caused by the file type being used for your music files when you synch your device.

When you attach your device to your computer to synch it, in the left side panel under "Settings" there is an option at the top called "Summary". When you click "Summary", a page opens up. There is a pane for "Backups", and under that there is a pane for "Options" In the options pane, you can check a box that says "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC. (I believe AAC is an Apple audio format.) I checked that box, and that is when I started hearing the beeps between tracks on my blue-tooth headphones. So I went back in and unchecked the box and re-synched my device, and the beeps stopped.

Mar 3, 2019 5:59 AM in response to ruby1110

OK. Don’t know if this will work for anyone else, but it’s fixed it for me (so far, at least.)

1) Start with the iPhone/iPad turned ON, but with the screen OFF. Don’t touch it again until you’ve done the following:

2) Power up the headphones and wait for the beep/whatever to let you know it’s connected.

3) Push play on the headphones and wait for the music (or whatever) to start.

4) I usually push the forward button to skip to the next song just to be safe, but that might not be necessary.

5) That’s it. Turn on the screen and do whatever.

....and now it doesn’t beep.

I think that when the headphones pair with the phone, they wait to see who makes the first move, to see who’s “boss.” If the headphones are boss, no beep. If the phone is boss, it sends a beep to the headphones to give it a “heads up” (ha ha ha) to say “hey, FYI, something’s happening.”

...which is weird. And maybe that’s not an accurate metaphor for what’s happening, but thinking of it that way has kept me beep-free whenever I remember to do it (if I forget and start from the phone, it starts beeping again.)

YMMV. Good luck.

Bluetooth Headphones Beep Between Songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.