Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BootCamp Windows 10 Audio Fix?!?

Hey folks, less of a question than a heads up to anybody still having the issue of crappy sound quality on their built-in speakers on a BootCamp Windows 10 install. This should work with the following install of Windows 10 Home (1803):

User uploaded file

The option in Speakers Properties-Enhancements above called "Channel Phantoming" seemed to do the trick. You can also add "Loudness Equalization" to suit your taste.

In case you don't see this option, I would suggest doing the following:

User uploaded file

Goto Settings-Sound and click "Troubleshoot" and make sure you have "Speakers" selected (in my case it's Cirrus Logic CS8409). The Troubleshooter should then find and apply "Channel Phantoming."

Hope this helps. Thanks!!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 4.2GHz i7, Radeon Pro 580, 40GB RAM

Posted on Nov 18, 2018 12:42 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 18, 2018 6:36 PM in response to Loner T

Affirmative, speakers are fine on macOS. The Windows problem was low levels along with complete absence of any high end, leading to a muddy "AM radio" type of sound. Generally I'm not for using these "enhancements" as they do more harm than good, but it's the only fix I'm finding at the system level without getting a 3rd party plugin or trying to find a Windows driver independent of BootCamp.

Nov 19, 2018 8:56 AM in response to Loner T

Ooookay... I just noticed that when the troubleshooter turned on "Channel Phantoming" it also (without saying so) switched the speakers from Stereo to Quadraphonic (3 possible configuration options: Stereo, Quadraphonic, or Surround). That's independent of any external device that's connected. I don't think it's producing any faux surround effects, it sounds like regular stereo. Still disconcerting though.

BootCamp Windows 10 Audio Fix?!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.