Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration made two accounts; which to use?

HI all,

I now have old MBP account/name on new MBP -- so I have two accounts as merging doesn't happen with MA (Migration Assistant). I did the migration over wifi.

If I had already set up Mail on new MPB account, do I need to redo this on migrated second account?

If I didn't get all I needed from old MBP via MA, do I just do it again for new photos/music etc -- though then I will have a third account?

Thanks

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 19, 2018 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2018 11:28 AM

Migration always creates a new account - when you first set up your computer it will ask if you want to restore from a TM backup or old computer. If you say yes then the account that is migrated will be the only account.

Log into the account that was migrated from the backup and take a look around. Go to system preferences and make sure iCloud is activated. Unless you've created new email accounts between the time you last used that account and now, there should be nothing missing. Your photos and music should be there too. If not you can use TM to grab them but don't use Migration Assistant to do it. See this article: Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Once you are certain everything you need is in the account that you migrated, you may delete the first account you created.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2018 11:28 AM in response to Sumba

Migration always creates a new account - when you first set up your computer it will ask if you want to restore from a TM backup or old computer. If you say yes then the account that is migrated will be the only account.

Log into the account that was migrated from the backup and take a look around. Go to system preferences and make sure iCloud is activated. Unless you've created new email accounts between the time you last used that account and now, there should be nothing missing. Your photos and music should be there too. If not you can use TM to grab them but don't use Migration Assistant to do it. See this article: Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Once you are certain everything you need is in the account that you migrated, you may delete the first account you created.

Nov 19, 2018 11:31 AM in response to dwb

Thank you very much, dwb. I appreciate your clear direction!

I did start using Mail on first account; can I transfer those email files to second/migrated account Mail? Or likely have to just start again with Mail on first account -- I had been using Outlook but want to switch.

Thanks a lot

Nov 19, 2018 12:26 PM in response to Sumba

Set up whatever email client you want to use on the migrated account. See, for the most part mail isn’t kept on the computer in a mail application database, it is kept on the server. All that is downloaded to the computer are the subject headers. When you select an email it is quickly downloaded to the computer so you can read it but it isn’t removed from the mail server unless you delete it. Even then it actually gets put into a deleted folder. You actually have to work hard to totally delete email…for the most part.

Nov 20, 2018 7:00 PM in response to dwb

HI again dwb,

Per your article recommended above, I cannot restore from the TM backup on hard drive as all folders have a red circle, and when clicked: The folder “Desktop” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

I checked online about this and tried to change permissions to no avail...any thoughts?

Thanks

Nov 23, 2018 6:15 AM in response to Sumba

For some reason, while you were logged into the account you migrated, the system didn’t think you owned the TM drive. I don’t know if this is an intentional security feature or a quirk. (Apple keeps piling on more security features with every release.) I do know one sure way to avoid it’s happening and how to avoid other potential TM gotchas, but if you are now able to access all your data and applications there’s no reason to consider it. Keep it in mind for your next computer or when a friend asks for help.

When you purchase a new computer the best way to use TimeMachine is to connect your computer or backup drive to the new computer when you are logging into the computer for the first time. At some point it asks if you want to migrate data - answer yes, select the TM drive and save point and let it go. That way there’s a single account migrated and a single account on the computer.

migration made two accounts; which to use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.