Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dashboard widget gone missing

Why is one of my dashboard widgets not in the user/library/widgets ( or library/widgets) folder - yet still active in dashboard?

I use the widget often on my older Mac, and so I want to install it on my new Mac. But I can no longer find it to download. So I looked into my two widgets folders (to hopefully transfer it over), but it is not in either of those two folders.

How can that be? If it is elsewhere, how can I find it?

MacBook Pro - 2.8, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 19, 2018 1:16 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 19, 2018 3:07 PM in response to stannard

Can you be more specific? I do not have a widget folder anywhere on my computer, so I wouldn't worry about it. Below are some articles that can help you install these widgets if you lose one.

These links might help: (Yes, I know it says 10.4, but seems to be identical to how the Widgets function in 10.6.8)

Mac OS X 10.4.2 or later: Installing and removing Dashboard widgets - Apple Support

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1399907&seqNum=23

I would just open Dashboard, click on this icon ↓ and then click on the more widgets tab to get another copy of the widget you are looking for. ↓

User uploaded file

Nov 20, 2018 2:39 PM in response to stannard

So like the Airport Utility app but as a widget?

This is the same app except on iOS in this picture. The icon is the same on Mac except it's spherical and not square.

User uploaded file

Or maybe this widget:

User uploaded file

I would just download this widget straight from the apple site to your macOS Sierra computer.

Here is the link to that widget: Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - Wireless Grapher

Nov 20, 2018 1:24 AM in response to Guest_9

Thanks for your response, and the links.

I have two widgets folders on my MacBookPro (OS10.6.8), one is HD/Library/Widgets, and the other is User/Library/Widgets. All of the widgets I have are in either of these two folders except one.

The missing widget is still active and useful in dashboard. When I launch dashboard it is there and I can use it. So I want to install it on my new MacBook (OS Sierra), but I can't find it to download from the internet, and I can't find it on my old computer to transfer it over.

Part of the reason I can't find it is because I don't remember what it is called. It doesn't display its name in dashboard, and it is obviously none of the ones listed in my widgets folders.

It's a widget that scans local wifi networks and tells me the name, strength and channels they are on. From memory it is called something like "wifi tracker"... and I got if from the Apple widgets site a couple of years ago.

I know Sierra may offer this kind of function, but I want it as a widget.

Nov 27, 2018 12:07 PM in response to Guest_9

Thank you so much for all your efforts! Unfortunately, the widget you linked doesn't seem to offer the same features as the one I am trying to resurrect.

I have searched through the Apple dashboard widgets web site several times and I am certain this widget is no longer there.

The frustrating thing is that I know it is still somewhere on my hard drive - because it is still operating in dashboard.

But I can't find it on my hard drive. I've tried doing a Spotlight search (for .wdgt files) but I get no results. I guess it's just hiding somewhere.

A look through my time machine back up is a good idea!

Dashboard widget gone missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.