Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote update necessary but impossible

I have an iMac from 2009, which cannot upgrade beyond El Capitan.

I have Keynote 6.6.2 and cannot upgrade beyond that using OS El Capitan.

Last week I created a presentation on the iMac and delivered it from my iPad.

Today, when I try to reopen the presentation on the iMac, I am told that I cannot open it and need to upgrade Keynote. But, of course, I cannot upgrade.

This did not use to happen before the last iOS upgrade.

I seem unable to force Keynote to open with the older version. I cannot open with ppt. (When this happened before after presenting from MB Air I was able to open with ppt, save and then open with my version keynote version - this is now blocked.)

So, effectively, all my keynote documents are now useless on this iMac.

Is there any way around this?

Or is Apple trying to force me to spend money on a new computer I really don't need?

Thanks for any tips and advice. This is a serious problem for me.

Posted on Nov 20, 2018 2:51 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 20, 2018 12:27 PM in response to French_Chris

reset Keynote by completing all of the following steps in the order listed:

1. ensure you have a current backup of all your user files saved to a separate drive
  2. ensure all applications are closed
  3. uninstall Keynote; for this procedure to work, an application removal tool must be used, App Delete is free and works for this procedure. It can be downloaded from the developer’s website here: App Delete
  4. empty the Trash (Finder > Empty Trash)
  5. restart the Mac (Apple Menu > Restart) Immediately after the Apple bong sound, press the shift key on the keyboard, release shift when the Apple icon appears. Start up will take longer than usual as the Mac is performing a software repair of the start up drive.
  6. After the Mac is fully powered up, restart the Mac normally: Apple Menu > Restart
  7. reinstall Keynote version 6.6.2 from the Mac App Store

Nov 21, 2018 12:44 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi Gary. Thank you for taking the time to answer in such detail. I have a couple of queries before proceeding.

My Keynote 6.6.2 is working fine with documents that have only been opened on my iMac. It is just documents that have been opened (even if not modified) on later versions of keynote (like on the iPad) that require a later version of keynote to be used when I open them from iMac.

I do not see how I can get an earlier version of keynote from the App store, which only appears to offer version 8.3.

It seems that Apple have me over a barrel.

Nov 21, 2018 2:48 AM in response to Gary Scotland

I have found a workaround.

I opened the presentation on my MB Air under Mojave and Keynote 8. I was from there able to export it to Keynote 5 and Powerpoint onto Dropbox. I could then open both presentations using Keynote 6.6.2 on the iMac.

I guess I just have to remember to save a duplicate of the orignal before using my iPad for the actual presentation in future.

It seems pretty incredible though that Apple would force an upgrade like this.

Thank you again, Gary, for your time.

Keynote update necessary but impossible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.