Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR lte connectivity issues

My new iPhone XR is having horrible lte connectivity issues. Is anyone else having any troubles?

iPhone XR, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 20, 2018 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 11:36 AM

My first XR had issues with connectivity. Apple replaced the phone. I have had the new XR for 11 days and it also has connectivity issues. My carrier is replacing my Xr with an X. The carrier told me the XS and XR have serious connectivity issues.

20 replies

Feb 8, 2019 7:13 PM in response to Kilanooru

I purchased an IPhone XR for my wife and myself about a week ago. I noticed that my wife’s phone and mine are having connectivity issues (1-2 times a day). These issues have occurred while connected to my WiFi in my home and on the streets. The signal in my home is strong. When on the streets, I have full bars to cell connections (I could travel for more than 30 mins and the issue persists). Unfortunately, when this issues occurs, I am not able to make calls, FaceTime, and or connect to the internet. A message would appear, call failed or need to connect to the internet. Anyhow, to fix the issue, my only options to correct it is to do a power reset or reset network settings.

I have T Mobile, and though it may be the provider, but that’s not the case. I have another active line with the same provider on an iPhone 7 Plus. When the issue arises on the XR, I’ve checked my IPhone 7 Plus and there is no connectivity problems. So the problem is isolated to the phone, whether it’s hardware or software.

I did exchange the iPhone XRs, but the new sets of iPhone XR are dealing with the same problems.

Currently, I don’t recommend the iPhone XR. If you were in an emergency situation, and you have to power reset or reset the network settings to correct the connectivity problem, that is crucial time in life or death situations.

I hope Apple will have this issue resolved soon.

Mar 2, 2019 8:59 PM in response to Unhappy-Camper

I have exactly the same issue and previously I believe it’s my carrier “3” problem. After replacing the SIM, resetting network setting and even resetting the phone doesn’t help. Need to reboot the phone 2-3 times a day to resume the connection. Changing to flight mode and enable it back it after a few minutes doesn’t work neither. Very frustrated...

Mar 9, 2019 8:17 PM in response to Garrettraible22

I have this issue too with Twigby Mobile which runs on Sprint and Verizon. I finally got in touch with Apple today and did a complete reload of software on my XR. Now I get Sprint 3G........good grief.....from bad to worse. I did get in touch with the carrier, but there are no outages, or disruptions in my area. I think it's the phone, and I've seen the same thing with the XS and XS Max. Not a good thing!!!!

Mar 10, 2019 12:19 AM in response to miyeko179

I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment next week. As it happened intermittently, I am quite sure i cannot reproduce the issue to Apple genius. I have screen record the problems I encountered. And hope that at least they can recognize it as a critical issue. In my case with dual SIM, by disable the 2nd SIM LTE, connection for 1st SIM won’t drop. I am asking myself now what’s the purpose getting myself a dual SIM iPhone with only one SIM working reliably...

You are right, the network is fine. My wife, my daughter iphone internet work next to me.... and I am quite sure it’s not a operator problem. I don’t know if Apple have some one read our discussion thread and let us know what is happening.

Mar 16, 2019 6:06 PM in response to miyeko179

I got my XR from Apple. It's covered under Apple care. They haven't bothered to offer a replacement. I should have bought an 8 Plus instead of the XR, but I didn't know these connectivity issues existed. I did ask if I could send it back, but my "14 day" return is long, long past. #SMH Thinking about selling it, and my Apple Watch Series 4, that I stopped wearing, online to a company here in Florida that would pay pretty good for used iPhones. I do have an iPhone SE that works better than this phone, connectivity wise, but doesn't have as good a camera. I'm getting too old for this crap!!

Mar 17, 2019 8:00 AM in response to rockjrd

I am working with a Apple Senior Support, and an engineer is on this issue. As a customer, I am helping to solve the issue with Apple. I am not sure when this will be resolved, but it is to be determined wheather it is a software or hardware problem. I am hoping this can be fixed sooner, or I will request a refund on a faulty product.

This isssue is known and is seriously dangerous for a consumer that can not troubleshoot the problem when an emergency arises. I will keep the Apple faithfuls updated when I get great news.

Mar 17, 2019 8:48 AM in response to Unhappy-Camper

Being a 63 year old person, that would be great if they fix it!!! Wondering what's taking so long!??!?!? So far, I've had to reload the software in my XR. I've had multiple issues with connectivity and WiFi. After reloading software, I could only get 3G and no LTE. Then the WiFi turns itself off.....Really?!?!?! I have to constantly watch the phone to make sure the WiFi doesn't turn off. All of this post the reload of software on iTunes. I never had this problem with my SE, but it has a Qualcomm chip in it too. And I traded my SE 64gb in on this?? My XR has an Intel chip and I don't think they are near as good (or work at all!!), but that's just my opinion. I've found out that when you mention the Qualcomm vs Intel chip.....customer service becomes really quiet. hummmm With all the complaints on the community site, you'd think Apple would offer us all a replacement that actually works!! Not once with my multiple communications with CS have they ever suggested that. I'm at the point that I want my money back as this is an expensive phone that doesn't work properly.....or sometimes at all!!!! It's like customer service says "your XR is broken.....HA-HA!!!!!!" #SMH Obviously I'm not a happy camper either!! Sorry for the rant!! I'll shut-up now!!! :(

Mar 24, 2019 8:13 PM in response to rockjrd

Update: after working with a senior support tech and giving access to my phone in which an engineer looked into, there is no time line for a solution. There was no definite answer besides wait for the next update, and report back. I have wasted my time to help them just to get the run around. I am unable to get a refund, and may have to sell the phone if update 12.2 doesn’t fix the connectivity issue.

For any people that may purchase the new iPhones, purchase at your own risk. Apple will give you the run around. I wasted almost two weeks gathering info for them, and letting gain access to my phone for several days.

Mar 25, 2019 3:45 PM in response to Unhappy-Camper

I'm hoping the 12.2 update fixes this issue. I've been eyeing the Samsung S10+ (and the hefty trade-in allowance from Samsung) even though I'm not a Samsung fan...(nor am I an Apple fan!!). I was a BlackBerry OS fan and Windows OS fan. So Apple was sort of a necessity for updates and the like, when Windows and BlackBerry OS bit the dust, over an Android phone as some hardly ever get OS and security updates.

I have yet told someone to purchase the XR, which is unlike me.

I think you have wasted as much time on this issue as I have this entire month in phone calls and having to reload software on an expensive phone. Most of my issues on connectivity has fallen on deaf ears. Such a waste of money!!!! Learned my lesson!!!

iPhone XR lte connectivity issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.