Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won't delete Virus

So the Anti-Virus program on my computer found that I had some time of virus or malware on my computer. I found the file, but every time I try to delete it, it makes you enter in a password. Once I enter the correct password it tells me, "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items". I don't understand why I can not delete it.The file is called Basesystem.dmg.

MacBook, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 20, 2018 7:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 12:27 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, wake3!

I understand you've found malware on your Mac and would like to remove it, but you've been unable to due to being told you don't have permission to access the file. I'd be happy to provide information to help you out.

Even though this article indicates it's to block pop-ups, follow the same steps: How to block pop-ups in Safari

If you might have installed adware or other unwanted software on your Mac

If you see pop-ups on your Mac that just won’t go away, you might have inadvertently downloaded and installed adware (advertising-supported software) or other unwanted software. Certain third-party download sites might include programs that you don’t want with the software that you install.

If you think that you might have malware or adware on your Mac, update to the latest version of macOS. If your Mac is already running the latest version, restart it. macOS includes a built-in tool that removes known malware when you restart your Mac.

Check your Applications folder to see if you have any apps that you didn’t expect and uninstall them. If you continue to see advertising or other unwanted programs on your Mac, contact Apple.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great rest of your week.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2018 12:27 PM in response to wake3

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, wake3!

I understand you've found malware on your Mac and would like to remove it, but you've been unable to due to being told you don't have permission to access the file. I'd be happy to provide information to help you out.

Even though this article indicates it's to block pop-ups, follow the same steps: How to block pop-ups in Safari

If you might have installed adware or other unwanted software on your Mac

If you see pop-ups on your Mac that just won’t go away, you might have inadvertently downloaded and installed adware (advertising-supported software) or other unwanted software. Certain third-party download sites might include programs that you don’t want with the software that you install.

If you think that you might have malware or adware on your Mac, update to the latest version of macOS. If your Mac is already running the latest version, restart it. macOS includes a built-in tool that removes known malware when you restart your Mac.

Check your Applications folder to see if you have any apps that you didn’t expect and uninstall them. If you continue to see advertising or other unwanted programs on your Mac, contact Apple.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great rest of your week.

Mac won't delete Virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.