Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete an old user can someone recover information from the old user ?

If I delete an old user can someone recover information from the old user?

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 20, 2018 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 8:31 AM

This is what you should do.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

9 replies

Nov 21, 2018 8:28 AM in response to dialabrain

I bought two old mac pros from my uncle and I want to fix them up and sell them.

My uncle sold them to me with important business information/passwords on them.

I already deleted his account on one computer.

Do you think that if I clone the old hard drive (with the deleted user) to a new ssd

can someone recover his files on the ssd?

I don't want to reinstall ios.

Nov 21, 2018 11:07 AM in response to Emily Booher

Emily Booher wrote:

I bought two old mac pros from my uncle and I want to fix them up and sell them.

My uncle sold them to me with important business information/passwords on them.

I would encrypt the drive, then follow the steps to erase the Mac and reinstall the OS as posted by dialabrain.

The encryption process will encrypt all data that is on a location still writable. When you then erase the drive to reinstall the OS, the encryption key will be destroyed and the data inaccessible.

Nov 23, 2018 6:42 PM in response to Emily Booher

Emily Booher wrote:

It is an old SATA drive and I will only create a new user account then sell it. I will not create very much data, but, I think I might clone the new user account to a ssd then delete the old one.

Just so you know, if you do not follow the excellent advice given, the buyer may wind up with an unusable machine if the OS was downloaded from the app store because the license for it is not transferable and is tied to the Apple ID used to download it. And, if the devices originally came with install media, you need to include them with the sale.

If I delete an old user can someone recover information from the old user ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.