Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 2 draining iPad Pro battery

Has anyone else found that leaving their Apple Pencil 2 attached to their iPad Pro 11 overnight drains the battery anywhere from 15%-25%. I did a test of leaving the pencil attached over night and saw a 17% loss in the iPad battery. The pencil was fully charged when I left it connected overnight. So it really had nothing to charge on the pencil. Then I charged the iPad to 100% and left overnight without the pencil attached and the next morning the iPad battery was still at 100%.

Seems like the Apple Pencil 2 is constantly drawing power from the iPad Battery. Was just wondering if anyone else is seeing this behavior. Would like to keep the pencil attached so I know where it is but not if it keeps draining the battery.

iPad Pro 11-inch, Cellular, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2019 1:23 PM

I would LOVE a feature in iOS to turn off the charging of the pencil or only allow charging below a setup percentage. I want to be able to carry my pencil connected to the iPad, but NOT have it drain the battery all the time.

86 replies

Jan 30, 2019 9:19 AM in response to peterfromsarasota

I reported as suggested. I proposed a what I feel is a simple fix. Would require the following:

1. ipad Pro should automatically turn off wireless charging when pencil reaches 100% for a period of time (guessing 30 minutes would be ok).
  2. iPad Pro should turn on wireless charging each time pencil is connected.

with those two it should never end up in charging for more than 30 minutes when not needed.

Mar 1, 2019 7:55 AM in response to oriffet

My iPad was completely drained out overnight. Just found out about this issue. That’s crazy. Mine seems to be the most extreme case scenario. I wish mine was only 15-25% lol.. Now I have to charge my iPad up again before school. Had I known this was an issue I wouldn’t of gotten a case that enables you to keep your pencil attached to your iPad all the time. Sheesh!

Sep 15, 2019 9:29 AM in response to peterfromsarasota

I understand that it is designed to charge off the iPad battery. However, I highly doubt it is designed to go through 25-30% battery power in just 8 hours. I have left my pencil connected to my 11” pro over night several times and each time my battery is drained. On one instance it drained it from 65% down to 23%. Seems like poor design for it to be so power hungry with no use.

Dec 19, 2018 7:16 PM in response to peterfromsarasota

Yes.

It will.

This is how the Apple Pencil is designed to always charge from the iPad.

The Pencil will constantly steal battery power from the iPad to keep the Apple Pencil always charged fully.

How else do you think the Apple Pencil always stays charged up.

The Apple Pencil is always going to use whatever amount of the the iPad’s battery power storage to charge itself.

This is exactly how Apple designed the Apple Pencil to work with the iPad/iPad Pro.

The iPad Pro and Apple Pencil are working just as designed.

Dec 30, 2018 12:06 AM in response to peterfromsarasota

Everyone that thinks that this is an issue/bug/defect should leave Apple feedback on this.

The only way to get Apple to, DIRECTLY, listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple is made aware and starts working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

Also, you may want to phone contact Apple, directly in Cupertino, California, and calmly talk to an Apple customer service employee about this issue via the link below.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Good Luck to All of You!

Dec 31, 2018 5:27 AM in response to peterfromsarasota

Hello,

I have exactly the same symptoms with the iPad 11 version 12.1.1.

I just had my pencil and my iPad replaced in Apple store (France).

The result is the same, battery loss if the pencil is charging during a standby period of about 10% for 8h standby.

The defect is not recognized by the Apple store (only notes) or Apple care.

Do you think this defect will be corrected?

thank you in advance for your feedback...

[Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information]

Dec 23, 2018 10:53 AM in response to stinky777

I’m noticing that if I have my Apple Pencil 2 attached to my iPad Pro for a while without using it, the Pencil starts discharging a little every day—maybe about 5% per day. For a while the iPad will continue topping it off, but then it stops. The Pencil shows as still attached and connected, just not charging. This will drain my iPad’s battery anywhere from 10-20% every 24 hours or so unless I remember to detach/attach the Pencil now and then to start the charge process over again.

I’m not really sure what to do about it. I’ve had the Pencil replaced thinking it was a faulty Pencil. I’m not going into the store again to get the iPad replaced and then run into the same thing. I feel like this is a software issue, as I’ve only been noticing it since 12.1.2.

Apple Pencil 2 draining iPad Pro battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.