Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil cannot charge and recognize in my ipad pro

I tried to use my apple pencil after a long time do not use it ( may be over 2 weeks). In the first time, it announced that the apple pencil had low battery with only 3% and I can not pair this pen with my ipad pro. Then I charged this pen for almost 30min. and try again but it did not work even I already reset my ipad and reconnect the apple pencil and ipad. Now my apple pencil totally cannot recognize my ipad pro. I do not know how to check my apple pencil is damaged or not.

Apple Pencil

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2018 10:22 AM

Hi CarlosP1228,

Thanks to your resplied, but still doesn't work the step you advise. My apple pencil is actually totally brand new but cannot return to apple store as I lost the receipt. I don't know if there is another solution can help how to connect my apple pencil to my ipad pro. It seems some problem in the battery of my apple pencil because it doesn't show the battery charge status of my apple pencil in my widget. Also, everytime I connect the apple pencil in the ipad, it connect for just only 1seconds then immediately disconnected. I tried several times to restart my ipad and re-paired again and again but still cannot connect. Hope there is another solution or advise can get help from apple support team. Thanks.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2018 10:22 AM in response to CarlosP1228

Hi CarlosP1228,

Thanks to your resplied, but still doesn't work the step you advise. My apple pencil is actually totally brand new but cannot return to apple store as I lost the receipt. I don't know if there is another solution can help how to connect my apple pencil to my ipad pro. It seems some problem in the battery of my apple pencil because it doesn't show the battery charge status of my apple pencil in my widget. Also, everytime I connect the apple pencil in the ipad, it connect for just only 1seconds then immediately disconnected. I tried several times to restart my ipad and re-paired again and again but still cannot connect. Hope there is another solution or advise can get help from apple support team. Thanks.

Nov 23, 2018 11:21 AM in response to edwardfromdoha

Hi Edward,

It sounds like you're having some trouble with your Apple Pencil. I want to help you get this working as expected.

When you mention having gone through a reset, did you follow the steps to forget your Apple Pencil and restart:

If your Apple Pencil won't pair with your iPad

1. Make sure to center your Apple Pencil on the magnetic connector on the right edge of the iPad.
  2. Restart your iPad, then try to pair again.
  3. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
  4. On the same screen, look under My Devices for your Apple Pencil. If you see it, tap User uploaded file. Then tap Forget this Device.
  5. Connect your Apple Pencil in to your iPad and tap the Pair button when it appears after a few seconds.
  6. If you don't see the Pair button, wait for one minute while your Apple Pencil charges. Then try connecting your Apple Pencil again and wait until you see the Pair button.
  7. If you still don’t see the Pair button, contact Apple Support.
Use Apple Pencil with your iPad or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Let me know if that gets your Apple Pencil paired.

If the issue persists, you'll want to contact Apple Support for service options:
Contact - Official Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Dec 3, 2018 12:55 PM in response to edwardfromdoha

Try charging the Pencil longer, like a couple of hours.

The battery may have been flat ( 0% charged ) or close for too long.

If no joy after charging for 2-3 hours, your Apple Pencil battery has failed and your Apple Pencil is dead.

If your Apple Pencil sat around unused and not kept charged up for more than a few weeks, or so, OR LONGER, then the battery in your Apple Pencil may have failed and is dead and you will have to purchase another brand new Apple Pencil.

Sorry.

FYI and something Apple never divulges to it potential iPad Pro/Apple Pencil customers/users unless the potential customer/user is smart enough to ask about.

Due to the “always on and active/standby” nature of the Apple Pencil and, also, due to its very tiny rechargeable Li-ion battery (smaller than the eraser head on a REAL wooden pencil), the Apple Pencil needs to be constantly charged up to some significant charge level ALL THE TIME, even when not using the Pencil for prolonged periods of time.

The Apple Pencil needs to be kept charged to a minimum of 5-10% all the time.

If the Apple Pencil battery is allowed to drain down to 0% and allowed to stay in that flat condition for more than a few weeks, or so, OR EVEN LONGER, that very tiny little Li-ion battery is too small to keep at a 0% state for a long period of time and it will fail and the Apple Pencil will be dead and you may have to “pop” for another $99 Apple Pencil, once again!

Apple pencil cannot charge and recognize in my ipad pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.