Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro (2018) not working with USB microphone correctly

I have the new 2018 iPad Pro and am having trouble with my Blue Yeti microphone not working correctly.

The issues:

• When connected (via USB-A port on Apple's USB-C Multiport Adapter) the microphone only shows as 'Headset Microphone' in a recording app such as JustPressRecord.
  • When recording, the input is at an incredibly high volume / sensitivity and does not respect the physical volume knob control on the Blue Yeti at all (even when set to 0).
  • This results in highly distorted and unusable audio.

The mystery is that this microphone is properly recognised as 'Blue Yeti' and works perfectly with volume control when:

• Connected to a different iPad / iPhone with the Lightning Camera Adapter
  • Connected with the Apple USB-C Multiport Adapter to my MacBook Pro (Touch Bar)

Apple Support don't have an answer yet, and haven't seen other reports of this issue.

I have reset the iPad Pro to factory settings, and tried with Bluetooth off (a random suggestion) but with no luck.

Is anyone experiencing this issue of your microphone not being recognised correctly?

I am currently awaiting feedback from Blue Microphones too.

Thanks,
Simon

iPad Pro 11-inch, Wi-Fi, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2019 6:18 AM

I tried using my Blue Yeti and Blue Raspberry mics connected to my iPad Pro (2018) via the HyperDock and the Microphones are working in both Cubasis and in the Voice Memos app. BUT, the output is wanting to route thru the Mic’s built in headphone jack instead of Bluetooth Headphones or the Built In Speakers, like it’s now thee only audio in/out source. Makes it impossible to track over anything if you can’t hear what’s playing. But for the 10 min or so I tested it, I didn’t see any noticble drop in Battery, which is good news. This seems like something that can be addressed via an iOS Software update. Hopefully. I’d recommend filing a radar bug with Apple. And then file another one when the 1st couple betas of iOS 13 come out this summer, too. More bugs get addressed at that time as opposed to the prior release because that’s the main focus. At least, that’s what I’ve read..

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2019 6:18 AM in response to precisepath

I tried using my Blue Yeti and Blue Raspberry mics connected to my iPad Pro (2018) via the HyperDock and the Microphones are working in both Cubasis and in the Voice Memos app. BUT, the output is wanting to route thru the Mic’s built in headphone jack instead of Bluetooth Headphones or the Built In Speakers, like it’s now thee only audio in/out source. Makes it impossible to track over anything if you can’t hear what’s playing. But for the 10 min or so I tested it, I didn’t see any noticble drop in Battery, which is good news. This seems like something that can be addressed via an iOS Software update. Hopefully. I’d recommend filing a radar bug with Apple. And then file another one when the 1st couple betas of iOS 13 come out this summer, too. More bugs get addressed at that time as opposed to the prior release because that’s the main focus. At least, that’s what I’ve read..

Apr 16, 2019 7:30 AM in response to JFM67

Can you explain the set up you are using?

Do you see the blue icon in the top right stay there during the entire process?

Is your Yeti a Pro or normal?

Is the gain dial responsive?

• ———————————-

My situation:

yeti pro. Hyper drive no firmware update yet. 87w charger. The device ‘works’ but I have to seriously mess with the gain using some programs to get it within the usable range. (No different from using the apple USB which doesn’t use charge)

Mar 11, 2019 4:37 PM in response to MidwayFlux

Wow I received the product today. What a coincidence.

I tried it with the Apple 30W charger for USB-C and it does keep the iPad charging for 3-5 seconds and then revert to « not charging » status message... I opened a ticket with HyperDrive support. Using iOS 12.2beta5 though.... could this explain the problem? I doubt it. Noticed the blue icon in status bar? It stays there for a few seconds too and disappear. That being said, the hyperdrive is working though with usb-a Yeti mic. Stay tuned.

Jan 3, 2019 6:07 PM in response to precisepath

Hi,

Just received my Yeti microphone too and plugged it in my 11" 2018 iPad Pro. I have the same issue... with Ferrite application and the behaviour is that the application barely works (same with GarageBand)... the Mic is recognized but not always... rebooted the iPad and same thing. On my iMac works like a charm with USB-A or with the USB-C to USB-A adaptor.

Jan 14, 2019 12:09 PM in response to precisepath

I have a Raspberry mic and had troubles when connecting to the new iPad Pro 11". I tried all adapters you can think of, nothing works.

Last try, I purchased a USB-C hub (powered hub, not an adapter) from Amazon, which iPad recognizes (a "hub" icon actually shows at the upper right corner once connected). Then the mic works fine now. And I have tried to disconnect the power source of the hub, it works too. So I think iPad Pro has some issues with recognizing an adapter, but works well with a hub (my hub is not a super fancy one, just with 2 x USB 3.0 ports, and an HDMI port).

Hope this helps.

Feb 25, 2019 6:32 PM in response to precisepath

For anyone who bumps into this thread and is using a 2017 iPad Pro and is having issues with the Blue Yeti...

I'm experiencing a related problem on iPad Pro 10.5" 2017 model where the Blue Yeti microphone is not working at all after updating to iOS 12.

With the iPad Pro 2017 model I'm using the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and when I plug in the microphone it does show the red light on the Yeti so it seems it's getting the power it needs but when I'm recording the iPad's internal microphone is being used instead of the external one. I can tell because if I mute the microphone it is still recording the audio. And I'm sure my Blue Yeti microphone isn't faulty because it's working properly on both PC and Mac.

Hopefully the Apple engineers looking into these issues will be able to sort it out for us.

Mar 11, 2019 4:24 PM in response to JFM67

Did you get your HyperDrive yet? I’ll end up having the same setup (iPad Pro 2018, Blue Yeti mic, HyperDrive) and am really hoping I won’t have to resort to using a powered (by plugging into an outlet, powered) hub. I like being able to record in the car, or even in the middle of the Forrest. If this works that’s a huge win.

Mar 27, 2019 5:46 PM in response to JFM67

I have the same problem with the official Apple hdmi usb and powered adapter and blue yeti pro or Shure MV1 and phantom powered yeti pro. The icon shows up in blue like in your picture for a few seconds and then disappears. I have no signs coming up saying device connected. But if I enter garage band, for a brief moment, maybe a two seconds it says Mic on the input section.

I have a hyper drive on the way (a bit concerned now due to so many of the issues people have experienced) a usb c camera adapter and now the av adapter and can’t get any decent sound. It is SO annoying. I keep dropping money hoping I can just get back to work and nothing seems to work.

USB Hub? Hyper drive? At least yours seems to work with the hyper drive…

Apr 9, 2019 2:36 PM in response to JFM67

I just received my hyper drive - my blue yeti does not work still. Can you tell me how long the blue connected dongle symbol is illuminated in the top right. Mine shows for 3-4 seconds and then disappears. During these initial seconds I can a sound from the mic in my headphones. But then it stops. the mute light is illuminated but nothing more.

May 15, 2019 1:07 PM in response to Vikikl

What I've found to be consistent on my end is that, after updating the Firmware for the HyperDrive, I'm still only able to use my Blue Yeti Mic while I've got the other USB-C plug connected with power/plugged in. Works totally fine. I wish the HyperDrive had two USB-A Ports on it so I could use both of my Blue Yeti Mics.. BUT, as soon as I unplug the power or just try using the Blue Yeti Mic with the HyperDrive with nothing else connected, it's not always working.. I wish I could be more specific! It "works" in Cubasis (Tried in the Voice Memos app, too) but then cuts out and stops picking anything up.. I've recorded a track almost 5 minutes long, and then it cut out.. I've also seen it stop after less than 30 seconds or so. I've even tried turning off/disabling the Lock Screen so it stays on all the time, not seeing any change. When it works I see the blue mic icon at the top, but at some point that icon goes away and it loses connection or something..Not sure.. It just stops picking up any signal.

May 15, 2019 1:48 PM in response to Vikikl

The whole thing is rather strange. I now have the HyperDrive and the Blueyeti Pro and it seems to work fine...even not when powered. BUT here is the weird part... now so does the normal USB C to USB A camera connection. It doesn't work like it does on my laptop in that the gain function needs to be adjusted but it does work.

I have a red light on the Yeti showing it has power. I turn the gain basically right down on the iPad program im using, and then turn the gain up a bit on the yeti. And actually using both the iPad gain and the yeti gain I am able to get a decent recording where I can monitor myself absolutely fine. As I say, its different from how the yeti works on my Mac where I only have to use the Yeti's gain control, but it does seem to work fine. The Power cable doesn't seem to make any difference. Which is quite odd... Sometimes when first plugging it in I get the impression that the mic receives more power and pics up sound in a way that isn't constant...

Kind of hard to explain. its a mystery.

My advice - Go on garage band, turn the input gain basically right down and then start adjusting the yeti gain up and see if you get a manageable signal that isn't distorted and peaking?

iPad Pro (2018) not working with USB microphone correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.