9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2007 8:39 AM by ecmac
ashlander Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
Is there a way to see the actual fonts in Pages like in Appleworks?
I can save my favorite fonts in Styles but I want to see the entire collection in the Fonts window.

iMac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.5)
  • Tulse Level 5 Level 5 (5,790 points)
    Does your Font panel show the Collection column on the left? If not, make the panel wider (grab it by the bottom right corner and drag) until it appears, then choose All Fonts in the Collection column.
  • ashlander Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
    By actual fonts, I meant their appearance. I can see the Collections and Family columns showing the list of fonts. Appleworks fonts can show what they look like. In my Pages Font pane, all the fonts are in the same style so I can only see how they look when I use them. I hope this makes more sense.
    In the small "gear" dropdown menu of the Font panel, there is an option to "Show preview". Select this and you will get a preview of the font appearance. (You can also drag down the very small "dimple" that it is in the middle of the Font Panel's toolbar, above all the tool icons.)
  • Brooks Peterson Level 3 Level 3 (770 points)

The fonts simply don't display with previews in a drop-down menu in Pages, as you may be used to from using other programs.

This would be a nice feature, wouldn't it?

various macs...   Mac OS X (10.4.8)  
  • Magnus Lewan Level 4 Level 4 (3,655 points)
    No, you can unfortunately not do it as you can in AppleWorks or MS Word.

One way to get an overview of all the fonts you have is to run an AppleScript which is in Applications > AppleScript > Example Scripts > Font Book > Create Font Sample.scpt. Then you get a TextEdit document with the fonts you highlighted in Font Book.
  • Daniel Lafontaine Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

I recently noticed that FontCard does just that (from unsanity). I didn't have a chance to try it though.

Hope this helps.

Powerbook G4   Mac OS X (10.4.5)   2 GB RAM
    I'm not clear if FontCard will help with iWork fonts, since Pages and Keynote don't use a font menu, but instead a Font Panel.
  • ashlander Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
    Tulse, my Gear at the bottom left didn't have the "Show Preview" (I have Pages 1.0.2.) but it did have Manage Fonts. When I clicked, it showed its actual appearance but it's still one font at a time. When using the Font pane, the Collections column has Recently Used which shows all the font appearances I've used so that is the best help. I can simply Shift-Click the fonts icon in the Toolbar and see that list when Recently Used is selected. Thanks.

The other answers reveal that this request for actual fonts would be a nice feature for the next Pages Update.
  • ecmac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    FontSight™ from Stone adds a menu item which gives you all of your fonts as they will appear. It sits right next to Format.

I get it as part of Stone Works (a great value, btw) but it is also available standalone for $19 from www.stone.com