Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When does Apple cease repairing Apple devices?

Hello

I understand that Apple (and its Authorised Agents) will not repair computers and other electronic devices once they reach a specific age.

Are the guidelines written down and are they 'hard and fast'?

A reference would be appreciated.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 22, 2018 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2018 10:36 AM

Hi JetProvost, I heard that at some point Apple decide to stop manufacturing replacement parts for some models in action to make you buy a new equipment. It is also not cost efficient to their company keeping alive obsolete models to satisfy a very small group of clients. To find parts for these machines you will have to buy used ones and do the task yourself or some technician or repair shop. I use the app Mactracker on the Mac App Store and this app will list all the Apple devices along with the info and life status (supported, vintage or obsolete). It is an encyclopedia of knowledge of Apple products. You can also check Louis Rossmann - YouTube channel, have a lot of knowledge on this.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2018 10:36 AM in response to JetProvost

Hi JetProvost, I heard that at some point Apple decide to stop manufacturing replacement parts for some models in action to make you buy a new equipment. It is also not cost efficient to their company keeping alive obsolete models to satisfy a very small group of clients. To find parts for these machines you will have to buy used ones and do the task yourself or some technician or repair shop. I use the app Mactracker on the Mac App Store and this app will list all the Apple devices along with the info and life status (supported, vintage or obsolete). It is an encyclopedia of knowledge of Apple products. You can also check Louis Rossmann - YouTube channel, have a lot of knowledge on this.

Nov 22, 2018 6:58 PM in response to romad

romad wrote:

So I'd say it isn’t all-inclusive.

The Apple employees who typed up that article probably had not been born when some of the stuff you and I have lying about was made!!

I have an original Apple FireWire PCI card. It only supports cameras, not external storage. I've been told it doesn't exist, but there it sits in my "old Mac stuff" drawer.

When does Apple cease repairing Apple devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.