Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's hogging upload bandwidth on my TimeCapsule router?

Happy ThanksGiving, gang! 🙂

Okay, so Cox, after swearing to me 3-4 years ago that their monitoring of data usage was never going to be billed for, is finally doing just that. I figured they were lying and just laying the groundwork to squeeze more out of us, even though we already pay between $200-$300/month for TV/Phone/Internet. Sadly, I was right. We're even paying for their top tier internet package. However, ALL of their packages now start billing when you go over 1TB of data for the month.

Joy. 😠

So here's the thing. Being loyal Apple users for decades, long before it was cool, we have an all-Airport network in our home used by 4-5 adults. No one is downloading torrents or anything illegal. It's all very normal, mundane usage. We still record stuff off regular broadcast TV, stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu (etc...), as well as having a 2TB iCloud account to sync all of our macs and iDevices, as well as having 3 macs on BackBlaze accounts for our catastrophic backup plan. Everyone also backs up to the TimeCapsule locally.

On my MacBook pro (running latest Mojave), I monitor my own data usage using iStat, and I've noticed a ton of data being uploaded and just can't identify exactly what it is. I have a lot of tabs open on Chrome, but other than that, I'm not really "streaming" anything. It's one of the 3 computers that backs up to BackBlaze, but I have that set to go off late at night and can see that when it's uploading. I've not been able to identify what these 2600 strands are, but perhaps that's an anomaly? Does anyone know if they are iCloud addresses or what they might be? There are usually between 2-4 of them grinding away during the day with the first 4 sets of numbers exactly the same.

2600:8802:5200:152:1814:6ab1:99f:a8fe

My son has a gaming PC now and plays CS Go for maybe 10 hours a week (max), but he swears there's nothing else using bandwidth when he's not in front of the computer gaming. A tenant has a PS4, but he's hardly ever there and not using it much.

I just downloaded Bandwidth+, but it doesn't give any real details and studying Airport Utility data on each router doesn't reveal much either. Am I missing something there?

Bottom line is that I want to find what's eating up so much data and all of the utilities seem to be router based and I'm on an Airport network. It's an otherwise healthy network that I will obviously have to replace once enough pieces die, but for now I'd like to run it and capitalize on my investment.

Is there any other utility people have used to sniff out what's eating up data that Cox now wants to bill for?

Any help on this would be deeply appreciated. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14.1), Mac mini, MBPro, iPhone, iWatch,...

Posted on Nov 22, 2018 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2018 2:20 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

You have a built-in app, called Network Utility, that can help narrow down who "owns" that IPv6 IP address.

To access it:

• Hold down the option key, and then, click on the Apple logo in the upper left-hand side of the macOS menu bar.
  • Select System Information...
  • From the System Information menu bar, select Window > Network Utility
  • In Network Utility, select the Whois tab.
  • Enter that IPv6 IP address, and then, click on Whois.
  • The results will be shown in the window at the bottom of the app.

I just did and got the following results:

User uploaded file

... and lo and behold, that address is in the range that Cox Communications "owns." Chances are you are seeing these addresses as any outbound IPv6 traffic is going to the Cox-provided DNS servers. What you can't tell from this app is where that traffic is going to from there. That would require more sophisticated methods to analyze the data traffic, like Wireshark.

To help determine which of your Macs is using the most bandwidth, you can use a third-party app, like PeakHour. From there you can try to figure out which app(s) are using the Internet to communicate. This could be done with enabling either the Mac's or a third-party application-level software firewall, like Vallum or Little Snitch, and then, monitoring which apps are the culprits.

Armed with all that information, you should be able to make an informed decision on how to tackle the "overage" issues using Cox services.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2018 2:20 PM in response to Mick Guinn

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

You have a built-in app, called Network Utility, that can help narrow down who "owns" that IPv6 IP address.

To access it:

• Hold down the option key, and then, click on the Apple logo in the upper left-hand side of the macOS menu bar.
  • Select System Information...
  • From the System Information menu bar, select Window > Network Utility
  • In Network Utility, select the Whois tab.
  • Enter that IPv6 IP address, and then, click on Whois.
  • The results will be shown in the window at the bottom of the app.

I just did and got the following results:

User uploaded file

... and lo and behold, that address is in the range that Cox Communications "owns." Chances are you are seeing these addresses as any outbound IPv6 traffic is going to the Cox-provided DNS servers. What you can't tell from this app is where that traffic is going to from there. That would require more sophisticated methods to analyze the data traffic, like Wireshark.

To help determine which of your Macs is using the most bandwidth, you can use a third-party app, like PeakHour. From there you can try to figure out which app(s) are using the Internet to communicate. This could be done with enabling either the Mac's or a third-party application-level software firewall, like Vallum or Little Snitch, and then, monitoring which apps are the culprits.

Armed with all that information, you should be able to make an informed decision on how to tackle the "overage" issues using Cox services.

Nov 29, 2018 11:06 AM in response to Mick Guinn

Thanks for providing us with an update.

What seems to have helped the most is Little Snitch.

Little Snitch and Vallum pretty much perform the same roles; however, I have to agree that the former is a bit easier to learn and use.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research in the meantime and just saw that Cox charged us $10 for another 50GB even after I spent the better part of an hour in a chat with an agent saying we didn't want to pay overages of any kind.

I was a Cox customer for years and was always happy with their service and only left them when I moved to an area that they didn't offer any services. Sounds like a good thing as it appears that they started capping their service since then. Sorry, that you're going through that ordeal, but it looks like that's becoming common especially with higher bandwidth offerings. (Don't have that issue with the 10 Mbps down here in
"fly-over" country. 😉)

But the irony, of course, is that whatever kernel_task was doing it has now stopped for the past 3 days or so.

FWIW. kernel_task is a core process of macOS. It's used in a lot of situations and would not necessarily be an issue. If your curious to want to know a bit more about it, the following article should prove helpful:

What Is kernel_task, and Why Is It Running on My Mac? - How-To Geek

I nearly turned off iCloud everything just to see if that was the culprit (I still suspect it might be), but again, by the time I could focus on the bandwidth hog, the bandwidth burn had disappeared.

Using any form of Cloud services, not just those from Apple, can be a resource hog ... as well as, potentially creating a lot of network traffic to/from the Internet. What I would suggest is to review each of the iCloud services that you are using and determine which are really required vs. like to have, and stop using the latter for the time being.

Areas to consider would be:

• iCloud Drive
    • Desktop & Documents Folders
    • Books
  • Photos
  • Apple icon > About this Mac > Storage tab > Manage... > Store in iCloud... & Optimize...

In the meantime, is your avatar referencing, Tesseract, or something else? Just curious.

Yes, actually it does. It's what happens when you try to come up with a username having a background in Aerospace engineering.

Nov 27, 2018 11:11 PM in response to Mick Guinn

Peakhour is excellent utility that Tesserax has listed.. what is horribly sad is Apple removed SNMP for reasons known only unto the top level of Apple.. so any of the latest apple extreme or Time Capsules are totally useless.

Since Apple routers are totally inadequate & useless when it comes to tracking usage.. A most important function in the modern world of limited usage you simply need a better router.

An Asus router which monitors all devices on your network can quickly reveal what is using the bandwidth.

Even better is a cheap router like WRT1200AC running a special firmware called gargoyle.. it will show clear graphs and charts of exactly what computers or devices in your network are doing the damage.. you can keep using your apple router.. (until they break down.. and there is now no more.. ) as WAP. In the future you might want to consider Ubiquiti as a company that is advancing quickly excellent quality and reasonably cheap routers into the domestic arena. Already popular for SMB.

Nov 29, 2018 10:42 AM in response to Tesserax

I'm sorry it has taken some time to get back to your helpful reply. The odd thing is that I swore I'd replied to it in greater detail, but somehow that didn't post or got stuck as a draft on one of my computers. Weirdest thing. Can't find it anywhere, but my mac mini crashed 2 days in a row (very rare) and maybe that's what happened.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research in the meantime and just saw that Cox charged us $10 for another 50GB even after I spent the better part of an hour in a chat with an agent saying we didn't want to pay overages of any kind. Joy.

I got in touch with the guys behind PeakHour and Vallum and have tested the former's software, but not the later. Unfortunately (as LaPastenague notes) the Apple routers I have (the very latest/last gen) do not allow PeakHour to do much. But great folks behind that app.

What seems to have helped the most is Little Snitch. The German gang behind that has been very helpful.

But the irony, of course, is that whatever kernel_task was doing it has now stopped for the past 3 days or so. It must have known I finally had tools to discover what it was up to. Some of the IPV6 addresses were being used for iCloud syncing, others for Address Book and Calendar, but they were not blazing away when I finally had the means to test them so I'll have to wait until it comes back.

I nearly turned off iCloud everything just to see if that was the culprit (I still suspect it might be), but again, by the time I could focus on the bandwidth hog, the bandwidth burn had disappeared. I have iStat Menus running, so I can check it easily, but so far, nothing to report. I haven't even restarted, so I really can't say what ended the drain.

When I worked full time in Apple repair and support, I would have had time to solve this in a 24 hour period, but it's hard to find those hours to keep testing, tinkering.

In the meantime, is your avatar referencing, Tesseract, or something else? Just curious.

Thank you again for taking time to post some great ideas. If it starts happening again I'll attack it and try to reply here if Apple keeps the thread open.

Nov 29, 2018 10:47 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the tips. Our house is fairly large and we are using 3 extremes to cover it and an express unit to put a printer online. With TimeCapsule running and everything, the wireless backups were very important to us. I even bought a couple of brand new extremes to try and keep it running as long as possible. Apple abandoning the wireless space was disheartening, but they tend to be a ruthless company and cut bait pretty fast when they feel like it.

There are a couple of different wireless systems out there today that seem pretty cool, but I'm sure we won't replace what we have anytime soon unless forced to.

I haven't looked into this, but what happens to wireless TimeMachine backups without Apple hardware? I know a Drobo can be made a target, but my experience with those had me turn away from using them for that.

Is a wireless TimeMachine backup (ala TimeCapsule) supported with any of the new network hardware?

Nov 29, 2018 11:14 AM in response to Mick Guinn

I haven't looked into this, but what happens to wireless TimeMachine backups without Apple hardware? I know a Drobo can be made a target, but my experience with those had me turn away from using them for that.

Before LaPastenague has a chance to respond, I would like to offer my "2 cents" on this.

FWIW, I stopped using my TCs for Time Machine about a year ago. Instead, I use a combination of a WD My Book Pro attached to my Mac mini and a Synology NAS for both the mini and my other Apple devices for Time Machine. The NAS also supports incremental backups for my Windows boxes as well ... and has many more features, like an iTunes Server to boot. Something you may want to consider going forward as the TC supply runs out.

Also, in my case, as my Apple base stations "wear out," I'm replacing my entire wireless network with Ubiquiti hardware. In my case I am using their UniFi line as my home has been pre-wired with an Ethernet backbone.

What's hogging upload bandwidth on my TimeCapsule router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.