Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad screen freezes up

My iPad (Air 2, 11.4.1) screen occasionally freezes up but with increasing frequency. It does not respond to any touch actions, pushing the home button, double pushing the home button or holding the turn on/ turnoff button to power off. Once, plugging in my power adapter got it going even though batter had adequate charge. Eventually the spinning gear shows up on a black screen and then the passcode screen come on. Then it is ok until the next time it freezes.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2018 4:51 AM

3 replies

Nov 24, 2018 3:32 PM in response to JohnMac1985

Hi JohnMac1985,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're having trouble with your iPad becoming unresponsive, you're unable to restart it, and eventually you see it restart itself and you're asked to enter a passcode. I know it's important to rely on your iPad for cosistent performance; I'd like to help. Since you mention this happens intermittently, the first thing I would suggest is that you verify your software is up-to-date: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you're up-to-date, the next time you see this behavior I'd suggest using the steps below to force your iPad to restart:

If your screen is black or frozen

If your screen is black or frozen, you might need to force restart your device. A force restart won't erase the content on your device. You can force restart your device even if the screen is black or the buttons aren't responding. Follow these steps:

On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen

Should the behavior continue after updating and restarting your iPad, I'd suggest that you create a backup: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Then use the steps below to reinstall the iOS software to your iPad. This process erases the software currently installed and replaces it with a fresh copy, so be sure to closely follow step four and choose to "Update" in order to prevent data loss:
  1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:
    • On an iPad Pro 11-inch or iPad Pro 12.9-inch: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Top button until your device begins to restart. Continue holding the Top button until your device goes into Recovery Mode.
    • On iPhone 8 and later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best Regards.

iPad screen freezes up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.