Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Block Person" is grayed out in iMessage

I've blocked a contact from my iphone and was surprised to continue getting texts from them over imessage on my MBP... Rather miffed why Apple didn't propagate the block to the cloud and all devices, but especially miffed why the option to block the person on my laptop is grayed out.

Running Mojave

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 23, 2018 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2018 6:45 AM

Hi there, Aabomb!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you have an issue with your blocked contacts not being blocked on your Mac, as well as not being able to block them on the Mac through Messages and I'm happy to help! First, based on the screenshot you provided when you are trying to block a contact on the Mac, I recommend you check out this article to Block texts in Messages on Mac to follow the proper steps to block contacts from your Mac.

If you use iMessage to send text messages, you can stop receiving text messages from certain people.

1. In the Messages app User uploaded file on your Mac, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage.

2. In the Blocked pane, click the Add button User uploaded file and enter the iMessage address you want to block.

Next, for the issue with blocked contacts not being blocked across all your devices, I recommend taking a look at this article with steps to follow to Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac . This will perform checks and stop certain software from starting up automatically. Once you are in safe mode, test to see if you have the same issue. Also, check out this article with steps for How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac to create a new user and test the issue in the new account to see if the issue is user specific or system wide. Just be sure to sign in with your Apple ID once you have signed into the new user.

Let me know the results and take care!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2018 6:45 AM in response to Aabomb

Hi there, Aabomb!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you have an issue with your blocked contacts not being blocked on your Mac, as well as not being able to block them on the Mac through Messages and I'm happy to help! First, based on the screenshot you provided when you are trying to block a contact on the Mac, I recommend you check out this article to Block texts in Messages on Mac to follow the proper steps to block contacts from your Mac.

If you use iMessage to send text messages, you can stop receiving text messages from certain people.

1. In the Messages app User uploaded file on your Mac, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage.

2. In the Blocked pane, click the Add button User uploaded file and enter the iMessage address you want to block.

Next, for the issue with blocked contacts not being blocked across all your devices, I recommend taking a look at this article with steps to follow to Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac . This will perform checks and stop certain software from starting up automatically. Once you are in safe mode, test to see if you have the same issue. Also, check out this article with steps for How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac to create a new user and test the issue in the new account to see if the issue is user specific or system wide. Just be sure to sign in with your Apple ID once you have signed into the new user.

Let me know the results and take care!

"Block Person" is grayed out in iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.