Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Time Capsule same computer different network

Hi there guys, I have an Apple Time Capsule (500GB) that I was using in a different place and network, moved to another house when I have a wifi network, of course, a different one from the previous one, the thing is, now is there a way for me to access the Time Capsule? not really sure about what to do, any help? Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 25, 2018 6:11 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 26, 2018 5:51 AM in response to arturocivit

"...The Time Capsule will need to be reset back to default settings..." does this means, I'm going to delete all the data stored there, old files, backups, etc?

A Hard Reset on the Time Capsule will reset the network settings on the Time Capsule back to factory defaults. This will not affect any of the data that is stored on the Time Capsule.

my OS version is 10.13.6

This will require that you have performed updates on the Time Capsule in the past as they have become available. I will assume that you have done this.

Frankly speaking, the Time Capsule is long overdue to fail, so my strong recommendation would be to copy all of the data on the Time Capsule drive over to a USB drive as a backup.....before....you attempt to reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings.....in case the Time Capsule fails during the reset process.

You would use the Archive function in AirPort Utility to make a copy of the data on the Time Capsule hard drive to the USB drive.

User uploaded file

The Time Capsule indicator light will blink amber while the Archive process is occurring. I would estimate that it will take about 8-12 hours to copy over the data to the USB drive.

Finally, we asked for the manufacturer name and model number of your modem or modem/router in our first response.....but we did not receive this information from you. We need this to be able to provide the correct instructions to reset the Time Capsule and connect it to your new network. Please post back with this information if you want to proceed.

Nov 26, 2018 2:08 AM in response to arturocivit

It is virtually a miracle that an ancient 500 GB version of the Time Capsule will even power up at all.

IF.......it really is working, it is still programmed with settings to connect to your "old" network, so it does not recognize your "new" network.

The Time Capsule will need to be reset back to default settings and then set up again, so that it will pick up the correct settings to connect to the network.

If you want to attempt this, we need more information to be able to tell you how to accomplish this. Please understand that the old Time Capsule may not survive the reset that will be necessary if you want it to try to connect it to your new network.

1) What is the make and model number of your new modem, or modem/router?

2) Is the iMac that you list in your profile still using the 10.6.8 operating system? If not, what operating system is your Mac running?

Nov 26, 2018 7:15 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob, ok, thanks for that, ok, here's the time capsule model A1254, I have a TP link router model TLWR840N and a TP link modem model TD-8816

This will require that you have performed updates on the Time Capsule in the past as they have become available. I will assume that you have done this.

Nope, I mean, this has been off since a year and a half

You would use the Archive function in AirPort Utility to make a copy of the data on the Time Capsule hard drive to the USB drive.

Sorry to ask, but, in order to do whats mentioned above, what steps do I have to make?

Thanks Bob

Apple Time Capsule same computer different network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.