Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrade 2018 Mac Mini to High Sierra?

Will the 2018 Mac Mini (and MacBook Air for that matter) downgrade to High Sierra? Thanks all.

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Nov 26, 2018 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2018 10:49 AM

I tried booting into High Sierra 10.13.6 from an external SSD on a new 2018 Mac Mini. Once I'd rebooted into Recovery Mode to allow booting from external drives on the Mini, I could choose 10.13.6 on the external drive to boot from, but the Mac would upon restart revert to booting from the internal Mojave SSD. So, question answered. Thanks!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2018 10:49 AM in response to rleamon

I tried booting into High Sierra 10.13.6 from an external SSD on a new 2018 Mac Mini. Once I'd rebooted into Recovery Mode to allow booting from external drives on the Mini, I could choose 10.13.6 on the external drive to boot from, but the Mac would upon restart revert to booting from the internal Mojave SSD. So, question answered. Thanks!

Nov 29, 2018 4:39 AM in response to rleamon

The 2018 MacMini can not possibly run High Sierra natively because

the new hardware on the Mini is totally unsupported.

The only alternative would be to get something like VMware Fusion,

Parallels Desktop Mac, or Virtual Box and run the earlier macOS

as a virtual machine. Depending on the nature of the apps required,

the performance may be more than acceptable.

FWIW, you can download Parallels Lite from the MacApp Store

which is free for installing any macOS, OSX, or Linux virtual

machine (Windows requires a subscription fee).

Dec 31, 2018 3:01 PM in response to rleamon

I've been struggling with this for over 2 weeks! After creating several bootable external drives and following all the steps laid out to put a new (in this case, older) OS on my new mac mini...no luck. I even ordered a cheap usb keyboard because I thought it had to do with the bluetooth keyboards not talking to the mac mini during boot up. Still no luck. What happens to me is that I got to the screen that lets you choose between the Mojave and High Sierra OS. Then I'd choose High Sierra and eventually...after 1-2 minutes there was just a big (/) symbol on the screen and the mac mini turned off. So, sadly for me, and not because of Apple - I can't use my new mac mini until Pro Tools is compatible with Mojave. But, I still don't understand why a new mac isn't backwards compatible with older OS. Oh well...

Dec 31, 2018 3:06 PM in response to forest240

An older OS does not have the drivers for the newer hardware. That's why you're prohibited from using them.

Apple has always done this. With very few exceptions, a Mac will not run an OS that is older than what it shipped with. My 2010 Mac Pro came with 10.6.4. It will not boot to the 10.6.3 retail disk for the same reason. The shipped OS has hardware drivers on it the retail disk does not.

Jan 2, 2019 1:55 AM in response to woodmeister50

+1 for woodmeister50's comment.

As an additional item, VirtualBox 6.0 has recently been released. VirtualBox has historically been truly awful for running Mac guest operating systems (virtual machines), however version 6.0 finally adds some Mac guest addition support drivers which hopefully make this a big improvement over previous versions for running Mac guests.

This previous lack of Mac guest additions has meant it has in the past been unable to support multiple CPU cores for a Mac guest, or as standard better video resolution support, or shared folder support and so on. I have not been able to find a list of what guest features these preliminary Mac guest additions support. If anyone knows adding a reply here with that info would be helpful.

Downgrade 2018 Mac Mini to High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.