Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR not charging

iPhone XR is not charging. Please help! IOS is 12.1 have power cycled and done the volume up/down reset

Posted on Nov 26, 2018 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2018 8:42 AM

Hey Quita0907,

I see that you're having trouble charging your iPhone XR. I'd like to help out.

Take a look at these steps here to help with charging your iPhone XR:

If your device charges slowly or won’t charge

Follow these steps and try again after each:

1. Check your charging cable and USB adapter for signs of damage, like breakage or bent prongs.* Don't use damaged accessories.
    User uploaded file
  2. Use a wall power outlet and check for firm connections between your charging cable, USB wall adapter, and wall outlet or AC power cable, or try a different outlet.
  3. Remove any debris from the charging port on the bottom of your device, then firmly plug your charging cable into your device. If the charging port is damaged, your device probably needs service.
    User uploaded file
  4. Let your device charge for a half hour (if your device is unresponsive afterward, learn what to do).
  5. Force restart your device:
    • On an iPad Pro 11-inch or iPad Pro 12.9-inch: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Power button until the device restarts.
    • On an iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
  6. Let your device charge for another half hour.
  7. If your device still won’t power on or charge, take your device, charging cable, and charging adapter to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for evaluation. You can also contact Apple Support.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't charge - Apple Support

Have a good day.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2018 8:42 AM in response to Quita0907

Hey Quita0907,

I see that you're having trouble charging your iPhone XR. I'd like to help out.

Take a look at these steps here to help with charging your iPhone XR:

If your device charges slowly or won’t charge

Follow these steps and try again after each:

1. Check your charging cable and USB adapter for signs of damage, like breakage or bent prongs.* Don't use damaged accessories.
    User uploaded file
  2. Use a wall power outlet and check for firm connections between your charging cable, USB wall adapter, and wall outlet or AC power cable, or try a different outlet.
  3. Remove any debris from the charging port on the bottom of your device, then firmly plug your charging cable into your device. If the charging port is damaged, your device probably needs service.
    User uploaded file
  4. Let your device charge for a half hour (if your device is unresponsive afterward, learn what to do).
  5. Force restart your device:
    • On an iPad Pro 11-inch or iPad Pro 12.9-inch: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Power button until the device restarts.
    • On an iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
  6. Let your device charge for another half hour.
  7. If your device still won’t power on or charge, take your device, charging cable, and charging adapter to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for evaluation. You can also contact Apple Support.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't charge - Apple Support

Have a good day.

Dec 4, 2018 6:16 AM in response to Quita0907

Hello Quita. I have also experienced, seemingly, the same issue. Here are the details related to my experience.

- iOS was already at 12.1
- iPhone was unlocked (or locked)
- Tried multiple cables (Apple brand)
- Tried multiple power bricks (Apple iPad brand)
- Tried multiple outlets, including PC
- Rebooted the device multiple times

Nothing worked.

I then searched the web and found a solution to turn on access to USB Accessories when the screen is locked. Even though this issue was addressed in iOS 12.1, I wanted to try it anyway. It didn't work intially. I then turned the settings off and on several times, rebooted several times and then the phone started to charge like there was never an issue. While I don't have an issue anymore, I still called Apple care to let them know what I experienced.

Have you solved your issue yet? If so, what did you do?
Thank you

Dec 8, 2018 2:08 PM in response to Quita0907

I have had the same issue. Day after update to 12.1.1. Reset phone, awake, actively using. Using Apple charger and cord that came with it. Verified it works on 5 other devices. Turned the usb accessory switch on and off a bunch of times.

Gave up and left it plugged in and went to bed with plans to go to Apple store first thing. Wake up to it showing that it is connected to power and charged. It’s like the problem never happened. Honestly this makes me even more nervous. At what critical point is it going to happen again?

It’s like the weird sound your car makes until you go to the mechanic and can’t get it to repeat.

Dec 9, 2018 9:42 AM in response to Comet.24206

Yup. Says so in the post. In fact it was brand new out of box from my XR as I had been using my previous charger and cord from my iPhone 6. Yes believe it, my iPhone 6 cord and charger still work. XR wouldn’t charge with either. Until it suddenly would. By the way the chargers/cords were checked with multiple other devices and proved to be in good working order.

So so we can eliminate the charging apparatus as the cause.

iPhone XR not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.