Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grainy photos iPhone XS

Hi, I have had my new iPhone since the end of September. I noticed the photo's are really grainy, especially on skin tones. I traded up from an iPhone 6 plus and the photo's on that were superior. I have compared a lot of them.

I contacted online support and had a screen sharing session, they agreed that my pictures were really grainy and not good enough and arranged an appointment for me to return my phone and have it changed.

The photos on this XS are just as bad. I get the feeling it is a software issue. I have noticed the effect is even worse on black or mixed race skin, the effect is bad, it looks as though I have used lots of filters when I haven't.

Anyone else getting this? I noticed people mentioning the front facing camera, I don't really use that so not an issue for me.

iPhone XS

Posted on Nov 27, 2018 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2018 10:15 PM

I have exactly the same problem. My iPhone X took better pictures than my new iPhone XS. The problem is that iPhone XS software (due to the newly introduced smart HDR) takes all pictures at considerably higher ISO values than iPhone X, for example, hence the extreme noise on almost every picture taken in anything less than very bright light. Very disappointing, when zoomed in, the quality of the photos is appalling. Portrait mode indoors - a disaster...no matter the skin - it is so grainy that it looks like a picture taken with the cheapest smartphone available. 😠

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2018 10:15 PM in response to Alisonbonbalison

I have exactly the same problem. My iPhone X took better pictures than my new iPhone XS. The problem is that iPhone XS software (due to the newly introduced smart HDR) takes all pictures at considerably higher ISO values than iPhone X, for example, hence the extreme noise on almost every picture taken in anything less than very bright light. Very disappointing, when zoomed in, the quality of the photos is appalling. Portrait mode indoors - a disaster...no matter the skin - it is so grainy that it looks like a picture taken with the cheapest smartphone available. 😠

Jan 3, 2019 11:37 PM in response to Alisonbonbalison

I have the same problem! The new XS photos are absolutely horrible! They are extremely grainy and when you take something close up it automatically blurs the background and I don’t want the background blurred in the distance I want it all to be clear. I’m seriously thinking about returning mine. I got it for Christmas and I think I’m going to return it before the deadline because it’s horrible

Jan 19, 2019 2:52 PM in response to Alisonbonbalison

I'm having the same issue. Bought the XS and XS max for my wife and I just before Christmas. I had some of our Christmas pictures printed recently and was stunned when they all came out grainy. The same photos from the previous two Christmas's from my 6+ were much better. The supposedly amazing camera in the XS was the reason I bought the new phones. I just came back from the Apple store where they told me that the XS has some automatic filtering that can't be turned off which creates this problem. I'm now debating returning the phones and dropping back to the 8 or hoping for a software fix. I like everything else about the XS except the camera, but that is certainly enough to make me return it.

Grainy photos iPhone XS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.