Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to import .abbu file to address book

Mac Address book is failing to import the .abbu file. I exported an .abbu file from contacts from an older Mac (running either High Sierra or maybe El Capitan, I don't recall). I no longer have access to the other machine as it was returned on a lease. Now I am trying to import the old address book into my current iMac and it's not working.

This isn't the same address book file that was transferred to my new Mac, I have another address book that is my main one, and what I'm trying to do is recover certain addresses from the old address book, by restoring the complete file to a separate Admin user account, so that I can then find the contacts I need, export them individually as vCards, and then import those vCards back into my main address book on my main user account.

I've tried opening address book first, then importing from the file menu. I've also tried double clicking the .abbu file itself. Both give me the address book dialog window choosing whether I want to "Replace All" contacts with the contacts from the .abbu file. I click "YES Replace All" and then nothing happens.

The new address book is empty, and nothing has imported from the .abbu file. I've tried several times.

Also searched for questions about this and only found old questions from years ago, none answered properly. I can't believe other people don't have this problem or don't know how to fix it.

Does anybody know what this problem is and how to fix it?

I also tried Safe Boot and it did not work either.

Thanks

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2018 1:10 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 30, 2018 3:01 PM in response to Evan Kopelson

Thanks Barney, just saw your reply. Here's what happens when I do that. I can get into a subfolder called metadata, which has over 2,000 files in there and when I'm in the finder window I can see previews of the contact files when I click on the titles.

Only the titles are a string of numbers and dashes and a weird extension, as follows:

4X184704-4LDT-9356-FN77-8NG8F96GD9DT4K9/ABperson.abcdp

All the filenames end in /ABperson.abcdp

I tried searching inside the metadata file for names of contacts, but nothing comes up.

Also there doesn't seem to be any organization in the filenames. They're not in alphabetical order or any type of order.

To search I have to manually go through every file in the finder and wait for the preview to pop up, and go down a list of 2,000+ contacts to try and find the few that I need.

Thank you for the tip to at least get me this far... much appreciated!

Any ideas how to deal with these weird files or how to get them transferred to a .csv file or something?

Nov 30, 2018 6:21 PM in response to Evan Kopelson

There is no way to "deal" with the weird file names. As I already suggested, they will be named that way and the only way to see what is inside is to use QuickLook.

If you move them all into a folder in your Home, perhaps Spotlight can index them and you can find the people you want via Spotlight.

Do you have a backup? If so, you should be able to open Contacts, enter Time Machine, and restore backed up contacts. I haven't tried to restore contacts in quite a while, so it may have changed.

Unable to import .abbu file to address book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.