Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Mojave random shutdowns!!!!

I have a Mid-2014 MacBook Pro, 2.2GHz i7, w/Retina, 16 GB. 'Been a fantastic laptop for all this time.

A few days ago I updated to Mohave (10.14.1) and now I'm experience frequent, random shutdowns.

It will happen without warning and while in the first few days of Mohave it only happened a couple of times, now it is happened within just a few minutes of restarting. I am typing this as fast as I can because it happened mid-post last time and I lost all the details I had put in.

It is not an inactivity thing because it can happen while actively typing. I have no magnets or electronics near me so I'm not accidentally triggering the lid-closed signal (other threads have reported that as the problem), though I do admit the behavior is as if I closed the lid.

Gonna post this to get the thread started before it crashes again. Will post more details if needed.

Help!!!

[Re-Titled by Host]

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 28, 2018 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2018 5:41 PM

Follow-up:

Additional symptom: The console log showed kernel panics occurring shortly before the shutdown. Also, it should be noted that the problems occurred even when logged into different accounts.

The shutdowns did not occur, however, when booted from a different partition.

The Apple Store Genius Peeps decided that the best course was to re-install Mohave, figuring that it may have some damaged files or otherwise not be in a good state. They took my laptop and kept it for a day and a half, installed the OS afresh, running it for a good long stretch afterwards. No charge!!!

'Seems to be fixed.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2018 5:41 PM in response to melaquias

Follow-up:

Additional symptom: The console log showed kernel panics occurring shortly before the shutdown. Also, it should be noted that the problems occurred even when logged into different accounts.

The shutdowns did not occur, however, when booted from a different partition.

The Apple Store Genius Peeps decided that the best course was to re-install Mohave, figuring that it may have some damaged files or otherwise not be in a good state. They took my laptop and kept it for a day and a half, installed the OS afresh, running it for a good long stretch afterwards. No charge!!!

'Seems to be fixed.

Nov 28, 2018 7:37 AM in response to melaquias

at least try a pram zap and an SMC reset. Mojave is a pretty significant upgrade and on my systems I had to do that to get back to normal.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

The EFI of the computer most likely had an update completed. This is necessary but can lead to minor issues.

Nov 28, 2018 2:32 PM in response to DonH49

Thanks Smokerz,

'At a Genius Bar where the tech has been extremely nice and helpful and we are trying these steps out.

The SMC reset didn't help. Currently trying after a PRAM reset and it's looking more promising. I'm up to 17 minutes since last restart. It consistently went down within 5 minutes before that.

I'll post a confirmation later if it's 'cured' for certain.

Mac OS Mojave random shutdowns!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.