Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

turn off restrictions passcode

How do I reset my restrictions passcode? I've forgotten it.

iPhone 7, iOS 12.1, How turn off restrictions passcode

Posted on Nov 28, 2018 8:57 AM

5 replies

Nov 28, 2018 1:30 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

hi Lawrence, does this work?

If you have backed up your device to your computer via itunes, you can locate a file on your computer.

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > App Store - Here you should see a file called "adoption.plist"
Select that file, hold control in the drop down select open with "Text edit"

When you open and view this file look for a line of code with the following tags <integer>XXXX</integer>The four numbers that you will see between these tags is your "restriction passcode"
Remember that number, close the file - and you should be in.

I found it here: Forgot restrictions passcode on iPhone or iPad

Nov 28, 2018 1:53 PM in response to fyip

No, it doesn't. It worked 4 years ago, but Apple has since encrypted the Restrictions passcode. What DOES work is to decrypt the Restrictions passcode after extracting the encrypted passcode from a backup. It works because there are only 10,000 possible combinations, so all you need is a script that tries all of them. There are several sites that have such scripts, and at least one (expensive) iphone backup extractor app that will do it for you. The app is the only way I know to get it from an encrypted iTunes or from an iCloud backup.

turn off restrictions passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.