You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop FaceTime from popping up during start up?

FaceTime pops up every time I start up my computer. I don't use it and never will. It is like iMessage and iCloud. I don't trust them. I don't use them and never will. I would like to tell Apple where they can shove this useless twaddle instead of trying to force it on users like myself who don't want them.

Mac Pro, macOS Mojave (10.14), Upgraded Mac Pro with SATA+64bits

Posted on Nov 29, 2018 6:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 12:53 PM

Hi,

That should be System Preferences then User and Groups then the Account you login to on the Mac.

Top right should be a button called "Login Items" that reveals the items that will start up when the Mac does. (these are in addition to ones the system needs.)

If Messages and FaceTime are here you should remove them.

However if the Mac somehow thinks attempts where made to start the apps and that the Registration has not been completed then they will continue to Start up when the Mac does.

Specifically Open Messages and go to the Preferences (from the App Menu Bar item) and then the iMessages account.

Untick the "Enable this Account" box if it is active.

You may also need to sing out if it is using an Apple ID.

Close the app.

This should stop Messages Launching a Start up.

Go to System Preferences > iCloud and double check that it is not logged in.

IF required then Sign Out (Bottom Left).

For FaceTime you will have to specifically open the app then go to the Preferences and untick the "Enable this Account" box to stop it trying to Login in.

Whilst you can Login to many of the Apple Servers with just an Apple ID the truth is that it is becoming increasingly more difficult to do so without it being and iCloud valid ID at the same time.

User uploaded file

8:53 pm Saturday; December 1, 2018

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 MacBookPro 15" 2016 (High Sierra 10.13.x)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)
11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2018 12:53 PM in response to Oldislander

Hi,

That should be System Preferences then User and Groups then the Account you login to on the Mac.

Top right should be a button called "Login Items" that reveals the items that will start up when the Mac does. (these are in addition to ones the system needs.)

If Messages and FaceTime are here you should remove them.

However if the Mac somehow thinks attempts where made to start the apps and that the Registration has not been completed then they will continue to Start up when the Mac does.

Specifically Open Messages and go to the Preferences (from the App Menu Bar item) and then the iMessages account.

Untick the "Enable this Account" box if it is active.

You may also need to sing out if it is using an Apple ID.

Close the app.

This should stop Messages Launching a Start up.

Go to System Preferences > iCloud and double check that it is not logged in.

IF required then Sign Out (Bottom Left).

For FaceTime you will have to specifically open the app then go to the Preferences and untick the "Enable this Account" box to stop it trying to Login in.

Whilst you can Login to many of the Apple Servers with just an Apple ID the truth is that it is becoming increasingly more difficult to do so without it being and iCloud valid ID at the same time.

User uploaded file

8:53 pm Saturday; December 1, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 1, 2018 1:29 PM in response to Oldislander

Hi

You should be here.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Messages.

All in one pic

User uploaded file

FaceTime is similar but there is only one Pane in the Preferences.

User uploaded file

9:29 pm Saturday; December 1, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 1, 2018 1:34 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi,

That is to say to Disable item that are set as Start Up items (login Items) then you need th Users And Groups part of the System Preferences.

The apps might (more likely) to be reset to not Enabled in the app themselves.

AS for iCLoud itself you may need to see if, in SYstem Preferences > iCloud whether it is in fact Logged on.

IF you updated and Skipped some of the set up items the it is likely the computer (system) will try to make you login in to those apps and items and you will have to start up the apps to specifically Not login.

User uploaded file

9:33 pm Saturday; December 1, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 1, 2018 1:58 PM in response to Oldislander

Hi,

Thanks for checking and making that clear.

Quite often iTunes Helper appears in the list of Login Items but in my Mojave version is no longer does.

The three that I do have refer to third Party apps that have decided to add things to the list.

TomTom is to do with my SatNav updates apps.

TextExpander allows things similar to System Preferences > Keyboard then the Text button where "words" can be used to expand into Phrases.

Steam is a gaming service app.

After you have dismissed the Pop Ups is there any indication under the icon for the app that it is in fact running (even though you see no windows) ?

Messages in particular is a multiple window app and closing one will not Quit the app.

Depending on the version you are running you could have the main Chat and Interface window and a a set of Buddy Lists windows that could refer the AIM, Jabber and Yahoo accounts (all of which have gone by the time you have reach Mojave).

This means the app can be Open when you Shut Down and the Computer may try to open apps that were open before Shut Down if the box is ticked.

User uploaded file

If it is a New to You computer and you have by passed some Set up steps you might also get prompts in the form of Pop ups to finish off the setting up on those apps.

AS I said you will have to launch those Apps and specifically make sure they are Signed Out and not Enabled.

User uploaded file

9:58 pm Saturday; December 1, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 3, 2018 2:21 PM in response to Oldislander

Hi,

As has been stated the OS when Installed goes through some set up stages, some of which you can elect to skip and possibly complete later.

As the OS has been updated and applications have become more integrated it has tended to be assumed that you use one iCloud valid ID.

(I certainly know people who used to use one ID in iTunes and another in the then Me.com and others in FaceTime and Messages separately so that their identity, if it was stolen, was only operational in one area)

Nowadays the OS can ask you if you want to use your Apple ID to Login to your Computer as well and an Account Name and Password.

I have certainly chosen at some Upgrades to set the Mac up later as there have been changes to the way you have to Login in Jabber accounts in Sierra and High Sierra in Messages (the problem goes away in Mojave as Jabber accounts no longer can be used).

Once the OS thinks that some part needs to be completed it will keep the pop ups coming even if you try to Remove the apps by Dragging them to the Trash.

These items in Hard Drive/System/Library/LaunchAgents are responsible for the background Login and Listening part of Messages

User uploaded file

It might pay to create a folder on the Desktop (call it Moved LaunchAgents) and then move those to the newly created folder and try restarting the computer.

The simpler way is more likely to be to actually Open the app and state you don't want to login by deselecting the "Enable this Account" box.

User uploaded file

10:21 pm Monday; December 3, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

How do I stop FaceTime from popping up during start up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.