Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod "Unavailable" on iPhone

I am having troubles accessing my HomePod from my iPhone XS Max; the "Home" app on my iPhone says the HomePod is "Unavailable", and I cannot transfer phone calls to it.

I *can* access the HomePod from my iPad and my Mac including accessing the HomePod's settings from these devices.

I *can* send redirect Apple Music from my iPhone to the HomePod

All devices are on the same Wi-Fi. Bluetooth is on on the iPhone. All software is up to date on all devices.

I can reset the HomePod, and the iPhone will connect and set it up, but then the iPhone loses contact again. I have also restarted my phone.

Anyone know why my iPhone (and apparently only my iPhone) has issues with my HomePod?

Posted on Nov 30, 2018 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 3:38 AM

Is your Wi-Fi set up with WPA/WPA2 and with any client isolation feature turned off? Check that all the prerequisites in the Get started section of Set up and use HomePod - Apple Support are met. If you have a multi-band router it may help to either turn one band off or forget all but one set of networking settings so that devices will be using the same one. Adding address reservations for your devices may also help.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2018 3:38 AM in response to Todd Heberlein1

Is your Wi-Fi set up with WPA/WPA2 and with any client isolation feature turned off? Check that all the prerequisites in the Get started section of Set up and use HomePod - Apple Support are met. If you have a multi-band router it may help to either turn one band off or forget all but one set of networking settings so that devices will be using the same one. Adding address reservations for your devices may also help.

tt2

Dec 14, 2018 10:45 AM in response to Todd Heberlein1

Working with Apple support, I discovered the problem: my Apple ID wasn't verified! Once they helped me straighten that out, everything started working again.

The symptoms were strange and got stranger over time, and I am happy that Apple's Christopher on tech support could finally track down the problem. Thanks Christopher!

The first symptom was that I could not transfer calls to my HomePod anymore.

The second symptom was that while I could configure the HomePod from my iPhone (after doing a reset on my HomePod), I could not access the the HomePod via the Home app (while I could from my iPad and my Mac).

The third symptom was that after turning off Messages or FaceTime on my iPad or iPhone (via Settings), I could no longer connect to them. I had similar issues after disconnecting from iCloud with my Mac - I couldn't get Messages to work again.

The fourth symptom is that Apple support could turn on screen sharing on my iPhone using my Apple ID, but he could using my phone number. (I didn't realize Apple could do this, but I am glad they can).

Anyways, all these symptoms were associated with my Apple ID not being verified (I could still connect to my iCloud account, but I wasn't "verified". (I am not sure what the distinction is.) I do not know how it became unverified.

Once Apple's support figured that out, he was able to work with me to reverify my Apple ID, and then everything worked again. Yay!

HomePod "Unavailable" on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.