Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple USB SuperDrive is not supported

My Apple USB SuperDrive used to work in my 2012 MacBook Pro. Now when I connect directly to one of the USB ports I get an error message: "Apple USB SuperDrive is not supported" I'm running Sierra 10.12.6.

Why doesn't it work anymore? Or more to the point: How can I get it to work? Is this due to a change in OSX?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 2, 2018 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2018 6:41 AM

Thanks for your reply.

This drive used to work on my MacBook Pro (2012). It still works with the Mac Mini. But now when I plug it into the USB port on the MacBook Pro I get the Not Compatible error message. My MBPro came with an optical drive. I replaced the optical drive with an SSD drive and put the optical components in a case. As I said, it used to work and still does with other systems. I'm wondering if the recent OS update or some other change is the problem or it there is a driver or software patch that could make this work again.

Best

Bill Gladstone

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2018 6:41 AM in response to MoonJ.

Thanks for your reply.

This drive used to work on my MacBook Pro (2012). It still works with the Mac Mini. But now when I plug it into the USB port on the MacBook Pro I get the Not Compatible error message. My MBPro came with an optical drive. I replaced the optical drive with an SSD drive and put the optical components in a case. As I said, it used to work and still does with other systems. I'm wondering if the recent OS update or some other change is the problem or it there is a driver or software patch that could make this work again.

Best

Bill Gladstone

Dec 3, 2018 5:25 PM in response to BillGladstone

Hello BillGladstone!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I see from your post that when you connect your Apple USB SuperDrive to your Mac, you receive a message that it is not supported.

The Apple USB SuperDrive is compatible with all Mac models from 2008 and later that do not have a built-in optical drive. If your MacBook Pro is not a Retina display model, the Apple USB SuperDrive is not meant to work with your Mac.

If your MacBook Pro is a Retina display model, it should be able to work with the Apple USB SuperDrive.

Check out this article for more details: How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive

Have you checked to make sure that all of your software is up-to-date and has all available firmware installed?

If all software is up-to-date, follow the troubleshooting steps in this article called Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Kindest Regards.

Apple USB SuperDrive is not supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.