Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Telnet in Terminal?

Hello

I'm having a few problems accessing my email using Mac Mail as my client. I thought it might be my dns router settings but my email provider has asked me to run some tests in Terminal.

Unless I am missing something obvious, I can't do an telnet tests using Terminal any more and now understand its only available using old Mac OS.

Is there another way I can do this. At the moment, I need to use a VPN on my Mac to be able to access my email, so not sure what is blocking it from here.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Mojave (10.14), Final Cut X

Posted on Dec 2, 2018 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2018 12:33 PM

Telnet is gone in HS and later.

Several ways around that:

• Use ssh which is what Apple wants us to do anyway
  • Copy the telnet client from an older macOS installation (found at /usr/bin/telnet) and install it in the user-accessible location /usr/local/bin/
  • Find an app that accomplishes the same thing. The only worthwhile ones cost money. I don't have anything to suggest but anything you are likely to find is going to accomplish the equivalent of the above.
  • Install Homebrew and use it to install Telnet: https://brew.sh

There are probably other alternatives. Those are the few that come to mind.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2018 12:33 PM in response to AppleMacCider

Telnet is gone in HS and later.

Several ways around that:

• Use ssh which is what Apple wants us to do anyway
  • Copy the telnet client from an older macOS installation (found at /usr/bin/telnet) and install it in the user-accessible location /usr/local/bin/
  • Find an app that accomplishes the same thing. The only worthwhile ones cost money. I don't have anything to suggest but anything you are likely to find is going to accomplish the equivalent of the above.
  • Install Homebrew and use it to install Telnet: https://brew.sh

There are probably other alternatives. Those are the few that come to mind.

Dec 3, 2018 12:36 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks John for your help and reply.

I bought my Mac in April 2017 so reverted it back this morning to Sierra, which was the original OS at the time. I managed to do all the tests needed in terminal, only to work out the problems with email were due to Child Settings I had accidentally clicked onto which I prefer to do through my routers at home.

Thanks again for your reply and help. Your advice is worth knowing should I need to know for the future as well.

Matt

Telnet in Terminal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.