Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touchbar displaying but not responding

Using a MacBook Pro TouchBar (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB (running Mojave 10.14.1)

Touchbar is displaying items and responding to apps in terms of the displaying various items, but not working when I press it. Also, it seems to be randomly pressing itself as various buttons get activated at different times -- but it does not respond at all when I touch it. Power button is working, along with TouchID.

I was on the previous Mojave, but upgrading to the latest version 10.14.1 doesn't seem to do any good.

I have tried:

- restarting the Touchbar process using terminal as well through the Activity Monitor

- resetting SMC

- restting NVRAM

Nothing seems to work. N.B I do not use bootcamp, nor have I recently installed any new apps.

Anyone have this issue before and managed to get it resolved? Would be grateful for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, 4 TBT3)

Posted on Dec 3, 2018 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2018 6:33 PM

Just an update to:

"Touchbar is displaying items and responding to apps in terms of the displaying various contextual menu items, but not working when I press it. Also, it seems to be randomly pressing itself as various buttons get activated at different times -- but it does not respond at all when I touch it. Power button is working, along with TouchID." (posted yesterday)

This issue seems to be getting worse: the Touch Bar is now more frequently randomly activating by itself - in that it seems to press itself and various shortcuts on it will start to run (brightness settings, extension preferences, volume settings). To get around this I've had to change the settings to one which places the least amount of buttons on the Touch Bar. Still, the buttons aren't functioning in that they are not responding to touch.

If you have any tips on how to solve this I'd be extremely appreciative.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2018 6:33 PM in response to techny.noob

Just an update to:

"Touchbar is displaying items and responding to apps in terms of the displaying various contextual menu items, but not working when I press it. Also, it seems to be randomly pressing itself as various buttons get activated at different times -- but it does not respond at all when I touch it. Power button is working, along with TouchID." (posted yesterday)

This issue seems to be getting worse: the Touch Bar is now more frequently randomly activating by itself - in that it seems to press itself and various shortcuts on it will start to run (brightness settings, extension preferences, volume settings). To get around this I've had to change the settings to one which places the least amount of buttons on the Touch Bar. Still, the buttons aren't functioning in that they are not responding to touch.

If you have any tips on how to solve this I'd be extremely appreciative.

Touchbar displaying but not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.