Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing issue between MacBook Pro (2018) and using iMac (2011) as an external display

I have just replaced my MacBook Pro (2014) with the latest MacBook Pro (2018).

I have an iMac (2011) that I have been using successfully as an external display to the 2014 MacBook Pro. The cable connecting the devices was Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt.

For my new MacBook Pro (2018) I have bought the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 connector and connected this to the cable to my iMac.

When I press CMD F2 on my iMac the display attempts to sync with the MacBook Pro (lots of flashing screens) but eventually fails to sync.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), iMac is also 10.13.6

Posted on Dec 5, 2018 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2018 8:20 AM

You must be using one of the correct models of iMac from this article, and the specified cables:

Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support

There were problems initially in the MacBook Pro 2018 model not syncing properly with the correct models of iMacs allowed for Target Display mode.

This appears to be fixed in Mojave 10.14.1

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2018 8:20 AM in response to erniefromhove

You must be using one of the correct models of iMac from this article, and the specified cables:

Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support

There were problems initially in the MacBook Pro 2018 model not syncing properly with the correct models of iMacs allowed for Target Display mode.

This appears to be fixed in Mojave 10.14.1

Syncing issue between MacBook Pro (2018) and using iMac (2011) as an external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.