Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave
Question:

Question: macOS Sierra 10.12: folders disappear from finder sidebar after installing Sierra

I installed Sierra 10.12 and my finder side bar removed every single folder I ever dragged there as my favorite. It is not a function of "Show" and "Hide" them. They are literally gone. I can only see the standard folders (Documents, Downloads, ...). I did a backup before the update but did not take screenshot of my finder sidebar. So now I have to manually move my folders there again? Any better solution for this problem?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, null

Posted on

Dec 5, 2018 9:01 AM in response to sonja.sunshine In response to sonja.sunshine

There isn't a way to automatically recover. If you are able to drag the folders back and they stay there, there was an oops. If the folders continue to disappear, you probably have a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by restarting the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop. Then reset your preferences as desired.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Dec 5, 2018 9:01 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: sonja.sunshine

Question: macOS Sierra 10.12: folders disappear from finder sidebar after installing Sierra