Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet recovery "An Error Occurred while preparing the installation"

So a friend felt his mac was becoming sluggish so decided to reinstall the OS on his 2016 MacBook Pro Retina w/ High Sierra. He started out by erasing in disk utility but then wasn't able to reinstall the OS. Since I used to work in laptop repair (not mac though) I've been trying to help him out.

Only way to boot it up is to internet recovery, choosing to reinstall the OS there gives the choice of 2x250gb drives, Untitled or Untitled2, whichever is selected the process starts and looks to work fine until what I'm assuming is the end, where it pops up with "An Error Occurred while preparing the installation"

I've verified the date in terminal and reset the NVRAM and still receive the same error.

From what I gathered google'ing this might have something to do with APFS. I've tried manually recreating the fusion drive following the instructions here: "An Error Occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again. Any OS.

But I can't erase the disk. Here is the diskutil output:

/dev/disk0 (internal):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme 251.0 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_APFS Container disk2 250.7 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: APFS Container Scheme - +250.7 GB disk2

Physical Store disk0s2

1: APFS Volume Untitled 5.0 GB disk2s1

2: APFS Volume Preboot 43.7 MB disk2s2

3: APFS Volume Recovery 1.0 GB disk2s3

4: APFS Volume VM 2.1 GB disk2s4

5: APFS Volume Untitled 2 5.2 GB disk2s5

I've also tried to make a USB bootable Sierra installer but I get a prohibited symbol when trying to boot off it. Even though it boots fine on my MacBook Air. The MBP had Sierra on it when it was new.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on Dec 5, 2018 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2018 8:06 AM

It appears there is no Fusion Drive in the MBP Retina. Instead it has a 256GB SSD drive.

If you want to put macOS Sierra - OS the Mac shipped with - you need to invoke Internet Recovery using Shift+Command+Option+R keys. You want to remove the APFS format and reformat to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Launch Disk Utility, select the drive media (top most entry - not any volumes underneath), click Erase and select the format of Mac OS Extended (Journaled). This should reinitialize the drive media to a single partition and format it the way you want. After the internal drive has been formatted, you can close Disk Utility and select Reinstall macOS from the Utilities Menu to reinstall macOS Sierra. If you want to upgrade Sierra to macOS High Sierra, then you will either need the Install macOS High Sierra.app file that was downloaded from the App Store when it was available or you might be able to download the file from here. Scroll down to #4. Run the .app file to install High Sierra.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2018 8:06 AM in response to EvilH

It appears there is no Fusion Drive in the MBP Retina. Instead it has a 256GB SSD drive.

If you want to put macOS Sierra - OS the Mac shipped with - you need to invoke Internet Recovery using Shift+Command+Option+R keys. You want to remove the APFS format and reformat to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Launch Disk Utility, select the drive media (top most entry - not any volumes underneath), click Erase and select the format of Mac OS Extended (Journaled). This should reinitialize the drive media to a single partition and format it the way you want. After the internal drive has been formatted, you can close Disk Utility and select Reinstall macOS from the Utilities Menu to reinstall macOS Sierra. If you want to upgrade Sierra to macOS High Sierra, then you will either need the Install macOS High Sierra.app file that was downloaded from the App Store when it was available or you might be able to download the file from here. Scroll down to #4. Run the .app file to install High Sierra.

Internet recovery "An Error Occurred while preparing the installation"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.