Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 34, disk full?

I did a search round these discussion forums and have not found a solution.

Recently, when I tried to download stuff from iTunes, I get this message about me attempting to use the disk is full. The disk has 65GB of free space!!! Restart everything, flush caches, empty trash and blah, blah, blah. Still, I get the same message.

Any bright ideas? How to solve this issue?

MacBook Pro 2.16GHz / 2GB RAM / 100GB 7200rpm HD, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Mac mini 1.42GHz / 1GB RAM

Posted on Mar 6, 2007 2:14 AM

29 replies

Mar 6, 2007 3:34 AM in response to AT

Hi-

Do you use "Firevault"? If so, take a look at the following discussion:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=68139

Do you have a 3rd party drive back up program scheduled? An interrupted backup can leave a ghost file (if a system backup, a very large file).

Also, what version of iTunes are you using? Update of applications and system often cure abhorrent behavior.

G4 AGP(450)Sawtooth Mac OS X (10.4.8) 2ghzPPC,1.62gbSDRAM, ATI9800, DVR-109,(IntHD)120&160,LaCie160,23"Cinema Display

Mar 6, 2007 4:36 AM in response to AT

Hi-

Using Terminal, does anything (fie size) show out of the ordinary? (enter the following command):
sudo du -x -h -d 1 /

If not, what change(s) (if any), occured prior to the problem first appearing?
Might check your permission settings for the drive and for iTunes.
Does the problem occur in a different user account?

G4 AGP(450)Sawtooth Mac OS X (10.4.8) 2ghzPPC,1.62gbSDRAM, ATI9800, DVR-109,(IntHD)120&160,LaCie160,23"Cinema Display

Mar 23, 2007 6:44 PM in response to AT

I'm having the same problem; I'm trying to download a TV show and I get the iTunes error -34: "The disk you are attempting to use is full." My iTunes library is on a 500 GB external miniStack, attached to my Airport Extreme as an airdisk. There is over 400 GB of free space on the disk. I attached it directly to my laptop and ran Disk Utility, but no problems were found. Any suggestions?

Mar 24, 2007 11:59 AM in response to SemperfiMac

I've just gotten it to successfully d/l for the first time, and the one thing that I've done different is to have only one computer within my network actually on and running. I have multiple computers access my NAS; but with this test run, I only allowed one computer on & accessing the drive. The result was that I was able to download a TV show to my NAS. Try that and see if it works.

Mar 28, 2007 2:06 AM in response to SemperfiMac

Watch you backup program that backs up to you extenal hardrive. I changed mine to manual and it works now. it was attempting to connect to external and messsing everything up. Apple should know this and not issue error numbers, but issue specific pages to fix a reoccuring problem like error 34. Expecially when most people keep their itunes on extenal drives that are going to fill up very often. And apple tv needs alot of bugs fixed, expeciall if you don't want to stream, you want to upload to the apple tv hardrive

Mar 29, 2007 8:31 PM in response to AT

I'm experiencing this problem as well. From what I have read online, it seems that it affects situations where the iTunes library is stored on a network volume mounted via afp. In my case I'm using OS X Server, but I've heard similar situations with NAS kind of setup. The problem only occurs with larger video files like tv shows or movies. It does not seem to occur with songs. A workaround that fixes the problem temporarily is that when iTunes complain, navigate to the exact folder where it's trying to save the show and copy a large file there. Usually I just duplicate an existing video file. Once you do that, go back to iTunes and now it's all happy to download and save the file. Unfortunately, this is only temporary. Next time around, iTunes will freak out again an complain it can't save.
This is a major problem that has been recently introduced, either with iTunes 7.1 or the latest OS update.
This needs to be fixed asap!

Mar 29, 2007 9:01 PM in response to Georges

I agree totally. Up until i downloaded the latest itunes my problems started. The new itunes has losts of bugs and the whole apple tv need to be improved as far as moving files and streaming. If you stream, you can't even use you own photos as the screensaver. I loved me mac up untill the update, now it runs more like a windows machine. Programs not closing and nothing but trouble trying to do anything. Hopefully the new os or a new download will fix some problems. But they need to do something, this is horrible..

Apr 9, 2007 3:09 PM in response to Georges

Thanks -- your workaround of copying another big file into the download directory worked like a charm. Prior to this I was just rebooting daily and finding that about 1 day in 3 anything in my queue would download...

I'm storing my iTunes library on a 1.1 TB NAS drive (Infrant ReadyNAS NV+) primarily because I don't want to run out of space ⚠. It's mounted via AFP. I've been told that NFS mounting would be more reliable but haven't managed to get the user ID's synced up yet. Not sure if that would address the issue in any event.

Seconding the other comments re: Apple needing to get this right. I bought the AppleTV primarily so that I could watch downloaded TV episodes / movies and so far between the download snafus and the crappy resolution (when are HD downloads coming??) I am not exactly thrilled with the experience...

Mac Pro Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Jun 3, 2007 10:42 AM in response to AndrewBrook

Ah yes... very glad I read this. I have the exact same setup. My iTunes folder residing on an AFP ReadyNAS+. The large copy/duplicate worked great.

I swear... Apple has had lots of bugs lately, but the forums support and involvement is making up for it. At least I have a work around till when "if" they fix this.

Black MacBook Mac OS X (10.4.9) 5 Mac Minis 🙂

Error 34, disk full?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.