Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Entourage/Outlook Integration - MAPI/Exchange?

Hi

I'm on a quest to set up my MBP in such a way to allow me to work in either OS with bootcamp, but still be accessing the same data.

So far, I've got Office 2004 for Mac and Office 2007. MacDrive which allows me to use my Mac-formatted iPod with iTunes when I'm in Windows, as well as making my Mac files accessible. My Bookmarks are in Google Bookmarks. IM clients shared on both sides. Parallels so I don't have to reboot.

Now I'm at a point where the last piece is to have my email client shared across both systems. This includes Email, Calendar events, Contacts, Tasks, and Notes.

My question is, what's the best and most economical way to share Outlook/Entourage data between both programs?

I know I could always just use a web client, but I've paid for Entourage and Outlook and I'd like to use them. Because the type of data I need to share isn't simply email, I know this reduces the list of choices down to MAPI/Exchange. I'm not sure how much I can get away with if I use a MAPI account though.

I've looked at hosted Exchange accounts. They don't look too bad (like www.mail2web.com). Their Professional package would be required in this case.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.8) Windows XP Pro

Posted on Mar 7, 2007 11:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2007 4:25 AM

A hosted Exchange account is what I use, and I have zero issues. I looked at mail2web but they didn't offer much in terms of flexibility, so I went with a $7/month service from 1and1.com
7 replies

Mar 8, 2007 11:11 AM in response to Templeton Peck

Good tip... thanks. $7/month is a pretty good price in comparision to Mail2Web.

I'll check out their features sometime today, but hopefully they can do calendar events, contacts, tasks, notes, and one I forgot to mention before - hierarchical folder structures. I'm not sure about Exchange, but some IMAP accounts won't support this.

Mar 8, 2007 1:15 PM in response to OoO_Bailey_OoO

"hopefully they can do calendar events, contacts, tasks, notes, and one I forgot to mention before - hierarchical folder structures. I'm not sure about Exchange,"

Oh yes, they do all that. You get all the features of Exchange just like you would if your company used an Exchange server.

Actually you have complete control over your entire account. They'll just set it up for you, and you do the rest. And they'll even register and host your own domain for you to use with the Exchange account. That's like $5 a year. They also offer direct push email to your Windows Mobile 5 phone...if you have one.

I'm completely happy with their service, wished I had discovered them long ago.

Mar 8, 2007 9:57 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Hey, I checked out the services and ended up buying. Thanks again for the recommendation. You should have told me about the referral program and gotten yourself a discount. 🙂

Earn Back 'Your 1&1' Service Fees and More!
Affiliate Programm Imagine getting up to $80 for new customers you refer to us...that's like getting your hosting or domains for FREE. A few simple referrals to 1&1, and your own fees will be more than paid for.
Each time a new customer buys from us using your personal affiliate link, you'll earn a sales commission for referring them to us. Easily earn back your 1&1 fees and more.
Refer more customers, earn more commissions. It's that simple. After all, the reasons you choose 1&1 are the very same reasons your referrals will join us!
Click HERE to learn more about our program and its generous sales commissions. (Affiliate Terms and Conditions Apply)
Special Note: Once you receive Login and Password access to your 1&1 Control Panel, grab your personal affiliate tracking link or banner to use and be sure to watch for affiliate exclusive offers and contests.

Mar 9, 2007 4:32 AM in response to OoO_Bailey_OoO

~!@#$%^& Crap man!!! I forgot about the affiliate program! Oh well...

For setting up Entourage, see this FAQ: http://faq.1and1.com/msexchange/ms_exchange_account/ms_outlook_2003setup/15.html

But ignore step 5, as it looks like they wrote the article using Office X, and not Office 2004, and with Office 2004 the option for entering the SMTP server is not available.

Mar 9, 2007 9:54 AM in response to Templeton Peck

Thanks for finding that FAQ. I ran into this one, http://faq.1and1.com//msexchange/ms_exchange_account/exchange_accountsetup/8.html, and figured they weren't going to have anything else. Especially since they are so passionate about Outlook 2003 ( "Can I use anything other than Outlook 2003 to connect to exchange Server?" " No!").

Thanks again, you've been a great help.

😉 Shameless Plug: http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=14376231

Entourage/Outlook Integration - MAPI/Exchange?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.