Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Address Book LDAP Integration

I'm trying to use a central LDAP server (openLDAP) for all the machines in my house. My problem is in the mapping of AB entries and the corresponding LDAP attributes.

It recognizes "telephoneNumber" in LDAP as "Work Phone" in Address Book. Also, "mobile" as "Mobile phone". But not "homePhone" as "Home Phone".

It does recognize "homePhone" on an LDIF import and populates the Home Phone in Address Book, so it does recognize the right thing to do in that case. (well, that's subjective)

There appears to be a mapping file within openLDAP. In /etc/openldap/schema/netinfo.schema I notice entries like:

attributemap /users lastname sn
attributemap /users firstname givenName
attributemap /users state stateOrProvinceName
attributemap /users zip postalCode
attributemap /users phonenumber telephoneNumber

<Wild Assumption>
So, I was thinking this maps Netinfo -> LDAP attributes. And defaults to some set of attributes where it doesn't provide a mapping. So mobile->Mobile is assumed, but phonenumber needs to be mapped to telephoneNumber and so it's provided here.

So my thinking is that if I can find the right Netinfo attribute to home phone number, I can provide the mapping in this file and problem solved...
</Wild Assumption>

Of course, that may have nothing to do with it at all.
Any info would be appreciated.

Powerbook, MacPro Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Mar 12, 2007 5:34 PM

1 reply

Mar 14, 2007 10:21 AM in response to Mark2425

replying to my own post! sweet!

K, my wild assumption was way off. the AB sarches LDAP for these attributes.

givenName
sn
cn
mail
telephoneNumber
facsimileTelephoneNumber
o
title
ou
buildingName
street
l
st
postalCode
c
jpegPhoto
mobile
co
pager
destinationIndicator
labeledURI
IMHandle

So unless I can modify the ldapsearch query and/or modify how it maps those attributes to AB entries... I'm SOL. I've found nothing that will allow for a simple config change to make this happen, but there are some 3rd party stuff that might work. www.j2anywhere.com

But, I'm a bit of a purist (read: cheapskate) so I'm not willing to settle just yet.

Address Book LDAP Integration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.