Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it okay to leave my MacBook in a cold car?

I'm going skiing and plan to leave my MacBook in the car for the day, where it'll be pretty cold. Will this cause any problems?

MacBook Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Mar 13, 2007 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2007 5:56 PM

I don't think anyone can say with any certainty. Your refrigerator is on the order of 40 deg F and your freezer is maybe 10 deg F. How comfortable are you with putting your MacBook in either environment for a day?

I think the problem would be with condensation forming when the cold computer is brought inside. It might be safer if you can find a ziploc bag large enough to hold it, and not remove it from the bag until after it is back up to room temp. The condensation would be kept outside the bag.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2007 5:56 PM in response to jonclinch

I don't think anyone can say with any certainty. Your refrigerator is on the order of 40 deg F and your freezer is maybe 10 deg F. How comfortable are you with putting your MacBook in either environment for a day?

I think the problem would be with condensation forming when the cold computer is brought inside. It might be safer if you can find a ziploc bag large enough to hold it, and not remove it from the bag until after it is back up to room temp. The condensation would be kept outside the bag.

Mar 17, 2007 8:56 AM in response to jonclinch

Mid-20s Fahrenheit is sub-zero in Celsius, which we use where I live...nevertheless, I would be careful and concerned about condensation, capacitors, and other circuits if operated when the computer is below freezing cold. The operating temperature for the MacBook is 50°F to 95°F (10°C to 35°C), and the storage temperature is -13°F to 113°F (-24°C to 45°C), according to Apple specs,so you should be okay.

:))

Mar 13, 2007 4:52 PM in response to jonclinch

Well, yes and no...the answer involves what will typically happen (nothing) and what can happen. Some parts of the inner workings of your computer are designed to function within a set range of temperatures---exceed those temps, as in leaving your computer in subzero temps all day, and things may not work right, if at all, until it warms up. What I would be most concerned about is the condensation that will occur when rapidly warming the computer, so in that case, don't...let the computer reach room temperature before turning it on.

The short answer is that it is probably ok to leave it in the car in sub-zero temps all day---if you let it warm up before turning it on. I do it all the time, and my computers are fine. That being said, I don't turn them on when they are frozen to "check" them---I let them sit at room temperature for an hour or so before turning them on.

I also suspect that if any damage occurred as a result of trying to operate your MacBook outside the recommended operating temps, then that damage would probably not be covered under the warranty.

Mar 17, 2007 12:34 PM in response to jonclinch

From the Tech Specs page for the MacBook:

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-24° to 45° C)

Like the other posters have said, condensation could be a problem. You'll probably be taking it from cold outdoors to fairly dry air indoors, so I wouldn't worry too much. Just let it warm up before using it.

Is it okay to leave my MacBook in a cold car?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.