Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Printing: Epson Stylus Pro 9600

Forgive me if I sound like n00b, since I am new at this Mac administration thing. 🙂 I got stuck taking care of a small network of various Macs at work. These are in our graphics design dept. They have an Epson Stylus Pro 9600 that they have been using, mainly with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, they were using the Epson via AppleTalk/Bonjour. The problem is that I was told from on high that this is a big no-no. So, I tried to setup the Epson on our Active Directory network. I assigned it an IP address, and made sure it was connected. The two main users were able to see it with the new IP address in the Print setup utility, and everything seemed ok.

When I tried printing something, however, the job hangs up. Finally, it will give an error that it could not communicate with the printer. The odd thing is that everything appears ok, and I can ping the printer address from the machines in question. Any suggestions?

The machines are a mix of G4/G5s all running 10.4.8.

Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Mar 13, 2007 8:40 PM

10 replies

Mar 14, 2007 5:30 AM in response to steve2112

If the Epson driver supports network printing, it will be called something like Epson TCP/IP, and will be found after clicking More Printers. Is that what you're using?

If you're using the Gimp-Print driver (included in OS X), then you must be using IP printer > LPD or IPP or HP Jetdirect. You'll need to read the documentation for the printer (or print server if that's how it's connected) and find out which protocol(s) is supported. TCP/IP raw (or socket or port 9100) is easiest because that equals HP Jetdirect protocol, and only the IP address is required. If LPD or IPP, then you need to find the device queue name (sometimes called port name), because this is required in Printer Setup (it's part of the address to the printer).

Mar 25, 2007 4:37 PM in response to greg sahli

I've been scouring the boards for a noobie's solution to this. I have an Epson R380 and there's no gimp driver yet. I believe that the Epson provided driver is network compatible, since I have Epson TCP/IP as an option. I have a D-Link 301U print server that my MacBook recognizes, but when I put in the IP for the server, the printer setup utility isn't finding a printer there. I've tried the default browser with the server and bonjour, and an IP printer as LPD and IPP. Any suggestions out there?

MacBook Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Mar 25, 2007 5:46 PM in response to AlicePN

Unless your printer has ethernet or wireless built-in, the driver for your printer was written for USB only. I have Epson TCP/IP in my More Printers menu, too - but I don't have an Epson that is network capable. Sorry.
You need to install Gutenprint 5.0.0:
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

Then,
you need to read the manual for the print server and decide which protocol(s) are supported by it. If LPD(LPR) or IPP, you need to enter the queue name in Printer Setup. It is part of the address to the printer. If port 9100, that equals HP Jetdirect protocol on OS X and no queue name is used.

Mar 26, 2007 11:09 AM in response to AlicePN

Oh, I forgot you are tagging onto the original topic about S-P 9600.

Pipslite won't do you any good on OS X (unless you have found a Mac-compiled version), but if you are daring enough, you can open the PPD you have for R380 and compare it with a GutenPrint PPD for a close model (R3xx), and change the pipslite PPD to have the same "command line" as a Gutenprint Epson driver.
I'll bet that will work. Sorry it isn't any easier.

Also, check www.printfab.net to see if they have your model driver.

Mar 26, 2007 1:19 PM in response to greg sahli

Thanks so much for the help, Greg. I just don't know what it is that I'm looking for. I can open the 380 PPD, but when I open the 340 PPD in TextEdit, it's truly apples to oranges. Tried printfab last night - no driver yet. So, I'll just keep using a USB connection until a driver comes out. I'm just spoiled - I can use the print server on our windows PCs, and it's made me too lazy to walk into the other room, even if I have to go back there anyway to pick up the hardcopy! Thanks again.

Network Printing: Epson Stylus Pro 9600

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.